The Arrow's getting new crankshaft seals. The strip-out's gone fairly well until the very last item - the centre oil seal.
The workshop manual says that after removing the bearing the centre oil seal can be easily removed with a drift and mallet....
Well, all I've succeeded in doing is knocking the centre out of the seal - it's an original-type double seal and there is no metal lip at the front or back.
I seem to be left with a steel-backed rubber cylinder that it's impossible to get any purchase on.
I can't be alone in having this problem - anyone got any advice? All I can think of so far is trying to burn it out, or maybe burn off the rubber, heat the steel backing to red-heat and jam something under it to collapse it.
Or possibly get the rubber off the steel and put a couple of weld blobs on it to use to knock it out.
Anyone got any better ideas - please!
SG
Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!
-
Simon.Gardiner
- Holder of a Golden Anorak

- Posts: 2045
- Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:37 pm
- Location: South West (Bristol-ish)
- Contact:
Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '61 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '61 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST
Re: Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!
Hi
A photo would help, how about a blind bearing remover? I have a similar set that's got me out of a pinch several times in the past:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moendergo-Bear ... hdGY&psc=1
Regards Mick
A photo would help, how about a blind bearing remover? I have a similar set that's got me out of a pinch several times in the past:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moendergo-Bear ... hdGY&psc=1
Regards Mick
-
Ivor Collins
- Holder of a Nylon Anorak

- Posts: 149
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 am
- Location: Leighton Buzzard ish
- Contact:
Re: Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!
The one-piece seals can be difficult to remove.
The last one I did required the use of a die grinder and a steady hand to cut 90% through the steel case before peeling it out like a sardine can lid
The last one I did required the use of a die grinder and a steady hand to cut 90% through the steel case before peeling it out like a sardine can lid
-
Ivor Collins
- Holder of a Nylon Anorak

- Posts: 149
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 am
- Location: Leighton Buzzard ish
- Contact:
- Roger Gwynn
- Holder of a Golden Anorak

- Posts: 2120
- Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:34 am
- Location: Norwich, UK
- Contact:
Re: Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!
I seem to remember that I used a small screwdriver blade hammered in between the outer casing and the case that effectively reduced the diameter of the outer so that something bigger could be used to collapse it.
Roger Gwynn, caretaker of the club's works drawings and machine register, membership secretary 2015-26. Director of AOMCC, Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired. (roger@arielownersmcc.com)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

