Page 1 of 3

1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 9:15 am
by tony.barnett
Does a drawing exist of the two brackets used on a 1928 Ariel for mounting the gas lamps?

Or does anyone have a decent photo?

Re: 1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 10:53 am
by Pete.Silson
Gas lamps?
1a.jpg
1b.jpg
1c.jpg

Re: 1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 10:59 am
by tony.barnett
They look the same as for gas lamps. Thanks.

Re: 1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 11:08 am
by simon.holyfield
Were they still selling gas lamps in 1928? The Lucas SS49 was certainly an option then.

Re: 1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 11:12 am
by dave.owen
It must be remembered that light of any type were optional extras supplied from outside the factory, check yhe black ariel book.
Brackets as on my 27

Re: 1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 11:13 am
by dave.owen
20260502_110958.jpg

Re: 1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 11:57 am
by tony.barnett
I'm not at all bothered whether the 28 would or wouldn't have gas lamps. As Dave pointed out - lights were an extra and you could have what you wanted. Mine is getting gas lamps because I like them. Simple as that.

Re: 1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 1:23 pm
by simon.holyfield
tony.barnett wrote: Sat May 02, 2026 11:57 am I'm not at all bothered whether the 28 would or wouldn't have gas lamps. As Dave pointed out - lights were an extra and you could have what you wanted. Mine is getting gas lamps because I like them. Simple as that.
I've got a few gas lamp bits doing nothing - I'll take a picture and see if there is anything useful to you.

Re: 1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 1:53 pm
by tony.barnett
simon.holyfield wrote: Sat May 02, 2026 1:23 pm
tony.barnett wrote: Sat May 02, 2026 11:57 am I'm not at all bothered whether the 28 would or wouldn't have gas lamps. As Dave pointed out - lights were an extra and you could have what you wanted. Mine is getting gas lamps because I like them. Simple as that.
I've got a few gas lamp bits doing nothing - I'll take a picture and see if there is anything useful to you.
That'd be grand. TBH they aren't going to be commissioned - my plan is to put LEDs in them. Can't be bothered with the faff of using carbide etc. But they do set the bike off. I am going to put some on my 1920 as well. Something else to damage when it takes me though a hedge...

Re: 1928 Front Gas Lamp Brackets

Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 11:55 pm
by RayBlack
Are period gas lamp or decent repros available? I have a '28 project that, as yet, does not have a lighting system. I am intrigued by the idea of an attractive set of gas lamps with LEDs...