flange

Singles, twins and fours.
Thomas.Martin

flange

Post by Thomas.Martin »

Hello
At my Ariel this flange was mounted on the carburetor. Does anyone know this part. It comes from the car? If it comes from an Ariel, what is the air filter.
Best regards
Attachments
DSCI0925.JPG
DSCI0925.JPG (37.06 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
DSCI0924.JPG
DSCI0924.JPG (62.1 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

As far as I remember, there was some bikes with a big airfilter on the left side of the bike below the saddle. Could this be a connection for such a filter?
Knud
Thomas.Martin

Re:

Post by Thomas.Martin »

Hi
I have only this part. The rest is missing. Is there a picture of someone who has such a filter? This much I know that the police used in a U.S. State Ariel SQ4 motorcycles have. Which may have used such filters?
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: flange

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello Thomas,

While looking at pictures of the Tonenburg rally last year I spotted a intake + filter like yours.
If you go to http://www.tonenburg.de/eventgalerie/20 ... 020297.JPG
You see John Bradshaw in the middle of the picture (where else would he be! -only joking ofcourse!)
On the stall is this intake + filter.
But I remember seeing once a picture with a SQ4 with a much larger -round & long- fitted to a ' colonial' version.
Dont know -yet- where I have seen this, maybe I remember........sometime

regards, VIncent.
ben.mitchell

Post by ben.mitchell »

Vincent is correct, this is for the colonial air filter which is about a foot (0.3m) long and about 6 inches (0.15m) in diameter, it fits down the side of the machine..and I have one at home, or at least a replica one which I think was made by John Bradshaw (yes him again!). I also have the fitting for other models to use the same filter but have never worked out how they all go together. Someone a few years ago had some pattern aluminium castings made up for these manifolds for the Solex carb fours...but you rarely see them on machines!
Ben
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Thomas,
I have this setup on my Mk1. I think it was a police bike in South Australia. The filter is fairly basic and I think it would be reasonably easy to make. I can take some photo's or send you a drawing if you want them. brhome@internode.on.net
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Thomas.Martin

Re:

Post by Thomas.Martin »

Hi
That would be great.
I would be very happy. Send by mail my address.
Best regards
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

I have uploaded what I think is the rest of the filter as supplied to us in the colonies.. Thomas' bit is in the upper left corner.
I think the filter was originally intended for another use as the inside mesh is of the type used for "oilbath" filters used at that time. To be effective as that, it would have had to sit upright in a small pool of oil. Perhaps nicked from the truck and tractor shop up the road from Selly Oak?
Brenton
Attachments
IMAG0087.jpg
IMAG0087.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 5741 times
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Thomas.Martin

Post by Thomas.Martin »

Thank you very much for the pictures on the other end of the world. Great technology that brings us closer. I also believe that the filter, even with a lot of dust, a bit too big.
Can you open the filter again? To clean, wash the like?
The flange before the filter is indeed a special part of cast aluminum ......
Baste Greetings
Thomas
Greg.Snyder

Post by Greg.Snyder »

Is this the contraption that would have been on a 53square for export to the states? Solex carb and factory papers states that it was provided with air filter for export to US. in the fantastical color of Wedgewood Blue. A piece of pure art...except for this elusive air filter...