Panniers

Bikes or not. Whatever
Kevin.Priest
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Panniers

Post by Kevin.Priest »

Me and Mrs Priest are planning a few trips for next year, up till now I really haven’t done too many long distances on my Ariels but it’s gonna change . We’ve Booked the German and Dutch rally’s already so I need to plan some luggage . We’re planning to ride separately on a VF31 & VB31 so both bikes have a rack already fitted and I was hoping the rack support may hold panniers away from wheel nicely .
Anyway I need to buy some panniers and was considering something like the kreiga saddlebags anyone use them or have any other recommendations?
Mrs Priest has done quite a bit of long distance touring on modern bikes over the years and generally doesn’t travel Light so she’s gonna need a few litres capacity for the weeks trip .
Mike.Morgan

Re: Panniers

Post by Mike.Morgan »

i use a series of Kreiga bags on my modern bikes, they are excellent and extremely versatile. Not cheap but you will struggle to find anything similar which is as good quality and waterproof.
If you are looking for something more permanent, Draganfly have taken over Craven and are now reproducing period hard luggage. All looks very nice, with improved locks and fixings.
klaus gerhard
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by klaus gerhard »

There is a set of motorbike bags available from "ortlieb". They supply bicycle equipment in general, but I have a set of the motorcycle bags from them as well. Very good qualitiy and 100% waterproof!
https://shop.touratech.de/moto-speedbag ... proof.html
Let me know if you want any more details.
Kevin.Priest
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Kevin.Priest »

Hmm I hadn’t considered Ortlieb , I wasn’t actually sure touratech we’re still operating any way glad they are I’ll have a look on their site .
Kevin.Priest
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Kevin.Priest »

Mike.Morgan wrote:i use a series of Kreiga bags on my modern bikes, they are excellent and extremely versatile. Not cheap but you will struggle to find anything similar which is as good quality and waterproof.
If you are looking for something more permanent, Draganfly have taken over Craven and are now reproducing period hard luggage. All looks very nice, with improved locks and fixings.

Mike , Good suggestion but I Don’t think I want to go for hard panniers , Draganfly craven boxes look nice but I could do with the flexibility of swapping onto other bikes easily so think I’ll stick with the soft idea do you use the actual Kreiga duo sadllebags ?
paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by paul_turner »

Hi
I've used Ventura luggage previously on modern bikes, rather like a ruck sack that sits on the back like a passenger would,
I adapted the frame to fit my huntmaster when we did a trip in 2014 to Normandy for the 70th anniversary of D day landings then on to Italy for our presidents rally . I also fitted a pair of midland original panniers I bought at Pugh sale in Ledbury.
Loaded to the Gunnels but the bike went well.
Attachments
IMG_0373.JPG
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

On my modern bike I fitted Peli cases.
Originally not intended for bikes but they are extremely rugged and watertight.
Made the frame myself from a old Krauser rack.
New they are not cheap but with some searching you can find them on internet markets like I did.
Once you know what model / size you need, I bought mine fro two different sellers.
They also shaved 10cm each side from the width compared to the Original ones
Company bike  (1) - kopie.JPG
motoren op slot 17-9-2016  (2) - kopie.JPG
Kevin.Priest
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Kevin.Priest »

Thanks everyone , I like the idea of the Ventura bag or possibly the Kreiga I’ll let you know how I get on. I’ve Been thinking though and I’ve got a few things to sort as really I must sort some spares , how I am gonna navigate not sure yet and more importantly each bike really ought to have a mirror fitted.
roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by roger.fellows »

Bruce Longman does bar-end mirrors.
doug.pearce

Post by doug.pearce »

Hi,alternative cheep and cheerful but will do the job.
Use some old army 58 pattern rear packs they have lots of straps to be able to fit to frame, added advantage they have 2 side pouches and straps to tie items onto the top of the packs.
Being military they are hard wearing mot completely Warter proof but if you dry bags they come in various size and really cheap from Go Outdoors..

You can get the packs on ebay etc if you have difficulty getting them get back to me and I can obtain some.