Backfire

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Backfire

Post by Ian.Taylor »

Hi Alan
You are correct. The float had stuck and flooded the carb.No big issue as I just tap to allow it to seat. About 1/2 throttle and she fires up.
Not this time.
At present I have installed another float and lid. My VHA never had this problem.
Although I used a good fuel line made for Motorcycles and snowmobiles I am disappointed that it melted fairly quick.
At present I'm looking for good fuel line that isn't thick and ugly. Automotive fuel line has a cloth insert but again the OD dia is too big for me but might have to use it just for the ease of mind.
BMW makes a cloth covered line but in 5/16 only.
I'm also thinking of carrying a box of Large box of Baking soda until I look into a small fire extinguisher
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

Would a fire blanket work, or could that make it worse.
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by admin »

I have one of these (empty) in a rack mount.
What could I put in it, that would put out a bike fire ?

Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

admin wrote: What could I put in it, that would put out a bike fire ?
Probably nothing, but if you filled it with whiskey and it cought fire you wouldn't care :D
Ian.Taylor

Post by Ian.Taylor »

lol I think whiskey might be good at some point. I know Baking Soda works with gas,grease etc and fire blanket might work to help contain the flames but i think something will be needed to help put it out. A box of Baking Soda can be tossed onto the area to smoother it.It is one if only product that does indeed smoother the flames/oxygen
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Good thing you turned the fuel off. Over the years I have had many carburetters flood, even ones that have worked for a while. The clip can fall out of the grove in the needle or just grunge stopping the needle from seating.
After you tickle it make sure the flow stops. If it looks as if it doesn't, turn the fuel off and put it back on after the engine is running. If it is OK, fine otherwise pull the bowl cover off and investigate.
If you fit a gauze in the intake if it's the right fineness it will act as a mining safety lamp (Davey) and be a flame trap. You need to achieve a fairly large diameter so it won't make it run rich. Nev
Ian.Taylor

Post by Ian.Taylor »

Hi Nev
I would love to fit one but I have about 1 " between the back of the carb to oil tank.
If I remove the spacer the Bowl now hits the Generator so I must turn it back which then fouls the belmouth.I could remove the Generator but I really don't want to. Not much of any options on the 31 I can see.
I wish Amal made a bowl with a slightly longer arm so the bowl would clear the generator .Problem would be solved.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Amal do make longer arm bowls in the later type. I have one which has no angle on it. Is the 31 flat intake tract? Nev
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

The Pyrene pump type were filled with carbon tetrachloride,but any of the heavier chlorinated hydrocarbon cleaners were pretty effective.These are now in the category of "yellow" fire extinguishers and only legal on aircraft. Norton ES2s of the forties /fifties had a flame trap as standard,and it has three layers of fairly coarse mesh.Regards John.
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Ian
This is a link to a previous post regarding flame traps...would one of these fit?
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=2291
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t