What are you listening to?

Bikes or not. Whatever
dave.pitt

What are you listening to?

Post by dave.pitt »

OK, as I've asked the question, I'll kick off with my tastes. A bit varied actually. When I was 11 I started learning tenor sax so this gave me an in interest in jazz. By 12 I was dabbling in guitar and became Jimi Hendrix number 1 fan (he was still alive then). :lol: Taking GCE music put me in touch with the classics. All of these have created meandering streams to the present day, so currently my fave rock bands are Red Hot Chilli's, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc. On the jazz front I like Coleman Hawkins, Sonny Rollins, Lester Young (all tenor players), and on the classical I like symphonic stuff from 1795 (Beethoven's Eroica, a cornerstone if ever there was one) up to 1930 (Elgar). I like all composers in this timespan, regardless of nationality, with a particular emphasis on Gustav Mahler. I also love traditional flamenco, and it's commercial rhythm spin-offs like the Gypsy Kings and Rodrigo y Gabriela. If you haven't heard their 'Stairway to Heaven' you need to listen pronto. (You Tube).

Strange that my first posting is about music and not Ariels...!
Dave Pitt
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Steven.Carter »

dave.pitt wrote: Strange that my first posting is about music and not Ariels...!
But aren't Ariels music to our ears? :D

Pink Floyd does it for me too, I'm enjoying that Gwyneth Paltro country song at the moment.

Steve
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

Old people eh ?

I tried an IPOD on the bike, but I had to ramp the volume up so high that:
  1. I couldn't hear anything at all - such as approaching runaway lorries etc etc
  2. I couldn't hear the bike and I was worried in case something was going to explode
Gone back to the bike's own soundtrack.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

Dave and I often have similar conversations at branch.
I have never had biker musical tastes, IMHO the Mods had the choice of the tunes. I love modern jazz, Miles Davis, Gill Evans Gill plays Hendrix for Dave and the British New Wave, the last gig I went to was my friend Gillad Atzmon and his Orient House Ensemble Dal'ouna on the Return. The gig before that was to see Alicia Keys and I am thinking of going to Rihanna Kanye West - All Of The Lights ft. Rihanna, Kid Cudi (Boys, you will enjoy Rihanna's part in this vid ;) ) although tickets cost about the same as real inspection lamps. Then of course there is punk I wanna be sedated, soul Sam Cook and the sacred music of the Russian Orthodoxy Gabriel Appeared.
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

I'm a jazzer too. Met Gillad Atzmon about ten years ago at the Vortex and he was telling me how he was searching for a Gibson 335 (we didn't speak about saxophones). The so called biker music was before my time and so were the rocker generation bikes. Good shed music for me might include Tribal Tech, Shakti, E.S.T., Alan Holdsworth etc. :ugeek:
tony.barnett

Post by tony.barnett »

For me, mostly metal or punk stuff - Metallica, Discharge, The Damned, Slipknot, Crass etc. Also like rock stuff like Purple, Rainbow. My tastes mainly rotate around noise of one form or another.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Combined Operations (Chairman and Secretary)
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
richard.feltham

Post by richard.feltham »

42 years ago I was listening to Pink Floyd and riding a 53 VH - now I'm listening to Pink Floyd and riding a 51 NH. Amazing progress I've made in that time.....
Wali.Badger.Taylor

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

Not exactly progress, you have lost 150cc.
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

While working on the bike I am reminded of an old "Tramps" number. Burn Baby Burn.
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charles.bulloch »

Primal Scream, Rolling Stones, The Beatles (in MONO), Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee. Orbital and The Orb.

Jazz, blues and techno, that's me.

Charlie