My heirloom '53 Square 4 Mk II: Help Needed

Anything about Ariels
evan.matthews

My heirloom '53 Square 4 Mk II: Help Needed

Post by evan.matthews »

Hey All - My dad passed down to me a 1953 Ariel Square 4 Mk II that he rebuilt from Basket Case to Concours from 1999 - 2017. I will be posting on this thread for some advice as needs be. I have a small library of literature, manuals, documentation around Ariels but sometimes a little person-to-person is what's needed. But first things first....

HOW DO I REMOVE THE REAR DETACHABLE WHEEL? - I need to remove the mudguard and petrol tank to ship to Brent at Vintage Vendor in Burlington, Vermont, USA to fix some nicks. I have removed the lift bar and the mudguard but can't get to the screw inside the mudguard to keep the nut holding the regulator bracket on from spinning with the screw.

I followed the owners manual I have and the photos which say remove the 5 wheel nuts, the 1 1/8'' (30mm) nut below the chain, and have tried to remove the large bolt on the right side of the bike, but it just spins in place. I attached photos of what I am talking about....

(The manual is for a 1950 Model 4G)

Much more to come, I'm sure. I stopped messing around with it as soon as I heard my dad's voice in my head and it became clear that I was pushing up against the stone. ... - Evan
Attachments
IMG-8298.jpg
IMG-8299.PNG
IMG-8300.jpg
IMG-8301.jpg
1953 Ariel Square Four MKII. Dad passed and left the bike to me and I'm committed to taking good care of her. Atlanta, Georgia, USA. AOMCC Member.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: My heirloom '53 Square 4 Mk II: Help Needed

Post by will_curry »

To get to the underside of the mudguard you shouldn't need to disturb the
brake drum, chain and sprocket.

It rather sounds like turning the bolt is also turning the stub axle on the
drive side. Try tightening the 1"1/8 nut up and then undoing the bolt.

Once the bolt is out and the five nuts are removed the spacer should come
out and the wheel will pull off the five studs and should come out once the
mudguard has been pivoted up out of the way.

I suspect you have the wrong stub axle as the proper one won't turn in the
suspension arm, even with the nut removed.
evan.matthews

Post by evan.matthews »

That was easy enough. Thanks, Will.

Now, I'm stuck trying to disconnect the wiring for the tail-light from the rear number plate. I removed the bulb and the nuts that held the number plate onto the mudguard.
1953 Ariel Square Four MKII. Dad passed and left the bike to me and I'm committed to taking good care of her. Atlanta, Georgia, USA. AOMCC Member.
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

The wiring runs under the mudguard on the timing side and there is
usually a pair of snap connectors in there quite close to the numberplate.
evan.matthews

Post by evan.matthews »

Will do when I'm back at it.

This is what I'm working with...
Attachments
IMG_8326.jpeg
IMG_8329.jpeg
evan.matthews

Post by evan.matthews »

No snap connectors. I don't see anyway I will be able to snake the wires back through the mudguard without cutting them which I don't want to do. Tho perhaps it would be an easy job to solder them back together....

Looks like they have two heads at the end which serve as the point of contact for the bulb. Those seem to be two leather disks they run through.
Attachments
IMG_8351.jpeg
IMG_8350.jpeg
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi, evan welcome to the forum, if you join the AOMCC you can get access to a lot information on your Ariel and the club spares as well, i am doing a ariel at the moment in memory of a old club member and his grandson and Good luck doing your Ariel you will get a lot of help of the club and forum members :D 8-)
evan.matthews

Post by evan.matthews »

Hey all, Got the tank and mudguard off the Ariel. About to ship them to get painted but, first things first, I need to get the liner out of the tank, it is flaking. My painter is willing to reline the tank but, I need to get the old "kreem" liner out. Advice? I searched the forums, maybe someone else has had the same problem...
Attachments
image_67163137.JPG
image_50432001.JPG
chris.shearwood

Post by chris.shearwood »

evan.matthews wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:05 pm I need to get the old "kreem" liner out. Advice? I searched the forums, maybe someone else has had the same problem...
Hi Evan,
I have used MEK to remove a tank liner. We discussed this on the Forum a few years ago.
viewtopic.php?t=10277
regards, Chris
1946 4G and 1951 VH
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Most liners can be removed using the old chemical paint strippers, no longer legally sold as paint stripper in the UK but can bought for the purposes of graffiti removal. Draganfly sell it but will not be able to ship it to the USA or probably anywhere these days.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.