Removing old tank sealer

Recommend a bike related business
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Removing old tank sealer

Post by ian.scott »

I found after 20 years my Slosh tank sealer was lifting slightly in a couple of places, so decided to reseal with Slosh again.
I had the tank de-dented and chromed about 20 years ago with no further problems apart from the bike never seemed to do much more than 120 milles on a tankfull of fuel.
I removed the tank and used the slosh cleaner to clean the tank,
I found that the sealer seemed to get absorbed and did not drain out.
After much shaking ,the nonfiller side of the tank seemed to have a large deposit of something that looked like polystyrene and seemed to be blocked at the small end of the tank.

I have removed much of the old sealer but the bottom end still seems blocked with this strange filler which I have never filled with,
Has anyone ideas on what I can use to dilute this filler so I can start resealing. I dont want to cut the tank or ruin the chrome.
I have tried Thinners , Slosh cleaner, Degreaser , white spirit, acetone and petrol.

Ian

Ia
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Removing old tank sealer

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi try a better type of tank sealer remover or have it steamed if you are going to paint the tank if not just use a good sealer remover and do it again and use hot water to wash it out it helps the old sealer to stay soft and if you are going to reseal it i use POR tank sealing kit and i have no problems in the last 15 years with my tanks :!:
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Ian,
I am assuming you are referring to the 'Slosh' sealer sold by Rustbuster Ltd https://www.rust.co.uk/product/cat/fuel ... -sealers-1

If so you say you used the 'Slosh cleaner'? was it their cleaner or their 'old fuel tank stripper'?

It may be the case that the 20 yrs old 'Slosh' was a different product to the current ethanol resistant type. Therefore the current Slosh remover may not fully work (which looks to be the case). Trying ringing 'Slosh' and see if they can help with a suitable solvent for their 20Yr old product .
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
ian.scott

Post by ian.scott »

It does seem to be a different product as it used to be white and it is now clear . I will try and contact them today.

Ian
chris.shearwood

Post by chris.shearwood »

Many years ago I had sealed the tank on my VH with a sloshing solution which was used in the small aircraft industry (Product EC-776 by the 3M company). When gasoline with ethanol came on the scene the carb got gummed up but good. To remove the sealer I used Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) which dissolved the sealer quite well. I did have difficulty buying this product. Phone calls to various chemical companies led to aggressive questions as to my identity and purpose. I then learned that MEK is used in the manufacture of meth-amphetamine. I finally located a company willing to sell to me. It seemed to be run by two old ladies who could have been culled from the cast of a production of "Arsenic and Old Lace". After paying for my five gallon bucket I mentioned to one of the old ladies my problems finding a seller and asked if there were any restrictions on its sale. She replied "Oh no, we sell barrels of the stuff". I wondered if most of their customers sported Death's Head patches on the backs of their jackets and whether or not I should report my conversation to the police. I finally decided that the interests of old motorcycle enthusiasts would be better served by my shutting up so that is what I did. Good luck with your tank Ian.
1946 4G and 1951 VH
ian.scott

Post by ian.scott »

Itr appears to be quite easily available from Amazon ? 9.99/litre.

Ian
chris.shearwood

Post by chris.shearwood »

Good! You're lucky. I guess times have changed. Why don't you buy a litre and try it? Don't neglect to take proper breathing and skin protection precautions. I understand it can be dangerous to one's health.
1946 4G and 1951 VH