1960 Ariel Arrow frame question.

Nick_Edgley

1960 Ariel Arrow frame question.

Post by Nick_Edgley »

A bonus of being stuck at home is finally finding the time to deal with long outstanding jobs, one of which was finish dismantling my Arrow! While planning the work and establishing what parts are needed and what needs repairing I have found damage to the frame around the rear fork and engine mounting holes.

Clearly on the nearside there was what could be described as a pressing around the holes, a little like a cup washer. I can easily make a suitable repair.

On the offside I presume the holes where just plain holes and the protruding metal visible in the photograph is just from damage or movement of the rear fork bolt at some point?

As both the engine mounting bolt and the rear fork mounting bolt both need to be tight it is important the dimensions of the mounting holes are correct. I have established that all the correct spacers and washers are present bar the rear fork bolt locking piece.

I would appreciate confirmation of what I believe the frame holes should look like.

Nearside:
20200426_160728.jpg
Offside:
20200426_160641.jpg
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1960 Ariel Arrow frame question.

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

if it was me i would weld a thick wall tube with the hole in the tube to fit the bolts