CP mid cover

wade.edwards
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: CP mid cover

Post by wade.edwards »

Hey Pete, that is information I hadn’t considered! I’ve been looking for the wrong case. Happy to trade boxes: 1950 for 1946.
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Pete.Silson »

Wade,

The picture of the 1946 box is not one of mine but one I happened across on Ebay. It is still a current Ebay listing (#323991665609) but appears to have damage to the top lug. I also suspect that the shipping to Canada would be prohibitively expensive for a complete gearbox.

Pete
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Missed that listing, Pete. Thank you for mentioning it! I have bought it for £150.
Are you aware of someone in England who would tear it apart and do a rebuild for a reasonable price? I’d rather it eventually arrive in Canada ready to go, outside of the case repair that I’ll do myself.
Pete.Silson

Post by Pete.Silson »

Wade,

Sorry I can't help with a recommendation for someone to do a rebuild for you - I do my own gearboxes.

Personally I wouldn't weld the broken top adjuster lug with the internals inside since the case will get quite hot in the welding process.

Also, looking at the pictures in the advert, someone has clearly tried to remove the clutch centre from the mainshaft with a hammer (unsuccessfully since it is part of the mainshaft). I don't know whether the belled-out end of the mainshaft can be repaired but I would also check the gearbox internals carefully for secondary damage caused by the abuse to the end of the mainshaft.

Pete
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Well it would be too much to expect that a very rarely available gearbox would be like new after 74 years of use and abuse. Will make repairs myself. No big deal. Thanks again for the alert. Would have missed this one.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

You could ask Geoff Brown of Club gearbox spares but he may well not have enough time available.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

So.....cost for my cousin to ship the 46 gearbox to British Columbia- £33.24, via DHL EXPRESS. eBay Global Shipping was to charge £89.00 plus £10.00 for import duties. There are NO duties into Canada for vintage motorcycle parts older than 25 years. Quite the racket eBay is running. Interestingly it cost £20.00 to ship it within England to my cousin. Still up £50.00!
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

EBay shipping (Pitney-Bowes) and UPS are two of the biggest thieves on the planet. Cannot believe how many arguments I have had with sellers about no duties to Canada on vintage bike stuff.
Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I won't USE UPS again. Nev
Mark Nazer

Post by Mark Nazer »

Ok, I will add to this: Do Not Use Hermes, they will lose your parcels and lost motorcycle and car parts are NOT compensated (in fact when I studied the “banned” list, only fairy dust is covered).
I hold a grudge.... :evil:
Enjoy old age, you didn’t die young!