Nova Scotia VH

Anything about Ariels
ABMartin

Nova Scotia VH

Post by ABMartin »

A photo of my '37 VH. I'm not sure how it got to Canada after spending most of its life in England. According to the buff log book which fortunately was passed along to me it was last registered there in 1973 near London, before that it was in Birmingham. All the numbers match the factory records so it seems to survived the last 74 years fairly well. There are a few deviations from standard such as the enclosed valve cylinder head, the chromed panel and a slightly different rear mudguard stay but I would rather ride it than restore it.

Pre-war bikes like this are very rare here - most people are at a complete loss when they see it.

Bruce
1937 VH Single Port High Pipe
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Nova Scotia VH

Post by john.nash »

Nova Scotia, eh ?
How short is your "riding season", then ?

We can go all year round here, in the UK, though I resort to the outfit for a couple of months.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
ABMartin

Post by ABMartin »

Firstly - thanks John for your efforts in putting this forum together. Its a great improvement over the other discussion group.

About the riding season, this is actually one of the milder parts of Canada although you wouldn't know it since it snowed today. I could probably ride from March to the end of November except that in cold temperatures the handlebars rotate freely in the rubber mounts, making control an issue.

Oddly enough, despite the colder climate this area has become quite popular with ex-pat Brits who now make up a substantial portion of the population.

Bruce
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by tony.barnett »

Nice Ariel. The handlebars should have a screw in them between the mounts (look underneath - is there a hole?) - stops the bars rotating in the mounts.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Combined Operations (Chairman and Secretary)
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
ABMartin

Re:

Post by ABMartin »

tony.barnett wrote: The handlebars should have a screw in them between the mounts (look underneath - is there a hole?) - stops the bars rotating in the mounts.
Quite right. There is a set screw there preventing the bars from rotating too far back. I hadn't noticed it before.

Bruce