Page 1 of 1

Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 11:03 pm
by Simon.Gardiner
The Arrow's getting new crankshaft seals. The strip-out's gone fairly well until the very last item - the centre oil seal.

The workshop manual says that after removing the bearing the centre oil seal can be easily removed with a drift and mallet....
Well, all I've succeeded in doing is knocking the centre out of the seal - it's an original-type double seal and there is no metal lip at the front or back.
I seem to be left with a steel-backed rubber cylinder that it's impossible to get any purchase on.

I can't be alone in having this problem - anyone got any advice? All I can think of so far is trying to burn it out, or maybe burn off the rubber, heat the steel backing to red-heat and jam something under it to collapse it.
Or possibly get the rubber off the steel and put a couple of weld blobs on it to use to knock it out.

Anyone got any better ideas - please!

SG

Re: Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 8:31 am
by Mick D
Hi

A photo would help, how about a blind bearing remover? I have a similar set that's got me out of a pinch several times in the past:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moendergo-Bear ... hdGY&psc=1

Regards Mick

Re: Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2026 11:06 pm
by Ivor Collins
The one-piece seals can be difficult to remove.
The last one I did required the use of a die grinder and a steady hand to cut 90% through the steel case before peeling it out like a sardine can lid😵‍💫

Re: Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 3:56 pm
by Ivor Collins
Center seal

Re: Centre crank oil seal removal - help!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 10:43 pm
by Roger Gwynn
I seem to remember that I used a small screwdriver blade hammered in between the outer casing and the case that effectively reduced the diameter of the outer so that something bigger could be used to collapse it.