Page 1 of 1

Crank rebuild

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:57 pm
by Steve.Smith
I am collecting parts to build up a "fun" bike; not sure what I will use it for yet but it will be lightened and tuned. Having raced various old 2 strokes (Greeves Griffon and Silverstone, RD200, and Suzuki T20) I know only too well the importance of a properly built crankshaft. I have a crankshaft that I will split and rebuild but before starting I am interested to know how other people set up the cranks for truing as on one side the shafts are of different diameters. I could press on the bearings or make a sleeve to give me equal diameters on the truing stand. What method do you use?
I have also acquired a set of crankcases converted to twin carb with welded-on aluminium stubs which I intend to use.
Steve Smith (the other one!)

Re: Crank rebuild

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2026 4:12 am
by nevhunter
The fact of running Iron Cylinders will limit your output. I got an Adler based Yamaha YDS5 going pretty hard one time and I only had iron barrels for it How I would set up the crank depends on how it's joined in the Middle, firstly. One thing is for sure , It must run true where the Bearings Are. Nev