Page 1 of 1
mag removal
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 10:12 am
by Richard Woolnough
Apologies to Simon Gardiner to whom I spoke yesterday, I didn't listen very well Simon so- I need to remove the mag on the Wng, the book says remove the oil pump and both sprockets but do I really need to remove the engine sprocket, is it not possible once I have broken the taper to remove the mag sprocket alone and remove the mag through the rear?.
I don't have a correct puller but have got a few pullers and if necessary can grind down a couple of legs to get behind the sprocket, any other suggestions welcome of course, and another, the book shows a bolt over the end nut there isn't one on this mag should there be?
Kind regards
R
Re: mag removal
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 12:16 pm
by Roger Gwynn
Pretty tight to use leg type puller, the proper ones remove the possibility of bending or breaking sprocket teeth and are not expensive. Yes it is possible to remove the mag without removing pump and driving sprocket.
Re: mag removal
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 1:52 pm
by Richard Woolnough
Thanks for this Roger, does your company supply these pullers?
Re: mag removal
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 3:47 pm
by Roger Gwynn
Oh yes but don't ask me I am retired! 6621-29 if I remember correctly
Re: mag removal
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:30 am
by Richard Woolnough
Thanks Roger, I couldn't find it on the website, I am also retired but miss weekends!
Re: mag removal
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:26 am
by nevhunter
It's easy to get the Magdyno shaft out of true trying to get the sprocket off. It's also difficult to Hold the armature while removing the Nut if it's at all tight on the thread. Holding it by the Points assembly is not recommended nor is a screwdriver in the Fibre gear which has a slipping clutch. Nev
Re: mag removal
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:44 am
by Roger Gwynn
On the subject of weekends when you are retired, I fixed that by continuing to switch from cereal at breakfast to toast at the weekends.
Re: mag removal
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 10:00 am
by Richard Woolnough
Thanks Nev, Roger Drags havn't got one and I woud rather buy the correct tool if possible, difficult to ask this, I guess, but any other suggestions as to supply?