Page 1 of 2

1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2026 6:43 pm
by simon.holyfield
This is the oil pressure gauge from my Model A. It's complete and looks like it would restore - can I get a new bezel and dial for it?

IMG_20260719_180053.jpg

Secondly, the parts book mentions two spokes in connection with mounting the gauge. Can someone help me with that please?

Re: 1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2026 8:54 pm
by dave.owen
The club haz bezels

Re: 1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 9:34 am
by mark.prizeman
Screenshot 2026-07-20 at 09.28.45.png
The spokes (E8/1080) presumably run down through two holes in the tank? (there is also one for the speedo cover).
That face looks like it has smear of emulsion or similar on it and could clean up nicely?
Screenshot 2026-07-20 at 09.28.45.png

Re: 1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 9:43 am
by simon.holyfield
Thanks Mark.

I found one spoke bent into a loop at one end and curled around one of the studs in the back of the gauge. The parts list identifies an aluminium clip which perhaps is used to retain the guage into the tank - there's nothing fixed in the mounting hole in the tank like the later bikes have.

I'll put a picture of the spoke up, though it doesn't look like an Ariel part.

Re: 1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 10:50 am
by Roger Gwynn
I think the ally clip is to hold the pipe around the front down tube

Re: 1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 11:01 am
by simon.holyfield
Roger Gwynn wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2026 10:50 am I think the ally clip is to hold the pipe around the front down tube
Yes of course. It makes sense now, I was wondering why they would have used aluminium to clamp a gauge in place - it's one of those aluminium straps isn't it. They are drawn perfectly in some of the parts books.

Re: 1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 3:29 pm
by Roger Gwynn
As there is a separate bar listed to hold the blanking plate in place it stands to reason that there should be one for the gauge, presumably with 2 holes in. Not listed in any of the parts books.

Re: 1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 4:18 pm
by simon.holyfield
Roger Gwynn wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2026 3:29 pm As there is a separate bar listed to hold the blanking plate in place it stands to reason that there should be one for the gauge, presumably with 2 holes in. Not listed in any of the parts books.
The next question is, how does two spokes hold a guage in place? Could my one remaining spoke, with one end twisted into a loop to go around the 3BA(?) screws in the back of the guage be one of the originals?

Re: 1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 4:47 pm
by Roger Gwynn
Pretty certain your twisted spoke isn't the original, the picture in the PB shoes a thread on both ends, so presumably the original gauge had two tapped holes in it. I may have the original set up on my 1930 but it is at my storage unit, I will look next time I am there if there isn't an answer from someone else in the meantime. Are you listening, Paul J???

Re: 1930 Oil Pressure Guage

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 7:18 pm
by simon.holyfield
I have news!

I should have taken a picture of the back of the gauge, which has two 3BA screws sticking out of it.

Now, this is the bent spoke which is actually too short for the purpose.

IMG_20260720_175403.jpg

This is my discovery though, one of those hurrah moments when one discovers one of the little details that are so delightful. Have a look at this:

IMG_20260720_175905.jpg

Clearly the two spokes poked down through these two little brackets and have nuts to secure them.

All I need to figure out now is how the spokes are attached to the gauge. The answer may be that I don't have the right gauge? This bike seems to have languished in a Scottish barn for a while - it's got some bumps and bruises but it's generally very original.

I'm hoping for words of wisdom from the current gauge guru.