Exhaust valve lever

Singles, twins and fours.
Post Reply
Steve.Smith
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:37 pm
Contact:

Exhaust valve lever

Post by Steve.Smith »

I am in the process of trying to fit the correct lever type exhaust valve lifter handlebar lever. I have replaced the clutch lever with a combined clutch and magneto lever but I am now struggling to find a suitable place to fit the lever type lever. I can't fit it against the grip unless I cut a piece out of the grip and anywhere else the bottom clamp of the clutch lever gets in the way. I am no doubt missing something obvious. Can anyone point me in the correct direction? Any pictures I find showing the nearside handlebar arrangement has the magneto lever and exhaust lifter lever both mounted on the clutch lever or is fitted with the wrong trigger lever.
Steve
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Wanborough, Wiltshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Exhaust valve lever

Post by Pete.Silson »

The "standard" Ariel arrangement is a combined dual mag and exhaust lifter on the clutch lever.
mag-deco lever.jpg
Random picture from the internet.
Steve.Smith
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Exhaust valve lever

Post by Steve.Smith »

Thanks Pete. I saw this arrangement on a few photos but that lever doesn't seem to be available in this country. I did notice some Indian made ones but have no idea of the quality. Draganfly show the clutch and magneto combined lever plus a separate magneto/air lever.
User avatar
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Posts: 2117
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:34 am
Location: Norwich, UK
Contact:

Re: Exhaust valve lever

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The dual mag and ex levers are difficult to find, I haven't seen the Indian ones. From 1956 Ariel changed to the trigger type lever with just the magneto control combined with the clutch. I think you will find that the lever does not need to come all the way up, I haven't had to trim the grip on any of my bikes, the lever just squashes the grip.
Roger Gwynn, caretaker of the club's works drawings and machine register, membership secretary 2015-26. Director of AOMCC, Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired. (roger@arielownersmcc.com)
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:31 am
Location: Wanborough, Wiltshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Exhaust valve lever

Post by Pete.Silson »

If you can't find the correct dual lever, an alternative is to move the choke lever. On my 350 I had a single (long arm) adv/ret on the clutch lever and a single (short arm) exhaust lifter on the front brake lever mount. I had the choke on a separate lever on the bars since it's only used to cold start. It works well for me.

The disadvantage of this arrangement is that you have to get used to repeatedly being told "it's not right and proper" and "Ariels don't do it that way" ... etc.

Pete
Steve.Smith
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Exhaust valve lever

Post by Steve.Smith »

Thanks all for the replies. I have been trying to put the correct bits back on the bike if I have to replace something. I managed to trap the exhaust valve lifter cable and when looking at the Draganfly site I noticed that the trigger type lever was not standard and the appropriate handlebar controls were the combined clutch lever and a magneto/air type lever. I thought I may have missed something obvious but I will now refit the trigger type lever and order a new cable. I will keep looking for the correct lever.
Thanks again, Steve
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests