Snapped timing chain

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Snapped timing chain

Post by paul.wirdnam »

I've only had one chain break on me...rear chain on a Matchless. It broke on the solid side of the split link (below). I hadn't realized that it had broken until I got home and investigate the occasional nasty noise coming from the back as it sometimes caught a tooth on the rear sprocket.

I spoke to John and Jane at Sprockets Unlimited and they said they always break there as its the weakest point of any chain with a split link. The solid side is always flexing slightly because the other side is not rigid. Makes sense.
Matchless Silver Hawk Rear Chain Split Link 20100906.jpg
Paul
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

you was very lucky it did not break it can make right mess of the chain guard like i did on the m1 motorway doing well over 70 m p h it made a right mess of the rear end
GuyWalton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by GuyWalton »

A few years ago a friend bought a Bimota , the one with the Suzuki engine , The bike was an ex demonstrator that had done a few miles think it used to go out when people dropped off bikes for service . Anyway they would service it and fit a new chain . He made it about 15 miles before the chain let loose . It wrapped itself around the front sprocket and totally destroyed the engine he wasnt badly hurt but whilst waiting for pick up found the link on the road . Un riveted . It cost them a new bike so that he didnt spread the word about what they had done .
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

if the loose side link is tight on the pins ,there will be no flexing.....so regular replacement of the link with a new quality part will obviate the failures.....the problem with bicycle chain size is most of whats sold is cheap rubbish ,suitable only for kids bikes,and its quite difficult to obtain a quality chain .
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

IF there's any friction in the pins (and there usually is under load,) the link will only take that load on the fixed side. I've always thought of it as only a tension issue but that's not the case. The ARIEL set up has a less than ideal number of teeth, which accentuates the problem.. Generally it's up to the job, but the later Matchless/AJS chain would be an improve. Nev
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Snapped split link Galore !

At the BOM rally this year
Burney na de BOM  (2).JPG
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

it seems to be happening a lot lately is it the links are getting old and wearing i have just got all new links for my chains and hope that helps to stop them breaking :?: :?
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The timing chain does not need a joining link, but you would have to remove one sprocket and the camshaft one is the most unlikely to cause problems but you MUST use the correct type of puller and you will have to retime the ignition accurately. Using a joining link the timing is much simplified as one tooth makes a lot of difference.. I would prefer no joiner myself as if it's not there it won't break. Nev