Snapped timing chain

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Snapped timing chain

Post by bevanclark »

Where would one get a good quality replacement timing chain - cannot see one in single spares and Drags one has a joining link which is presumably not ideal ?
Cheers,
Bevan
Brian Petheram

Post by Brian Petheram »

I got mine from John Budgen - it was endless - no joining link. Two timing chains came with my project, both looked fine but had way too much sag at the extreme of adjustment. I took a punt on a new one from John and it's fine. I still can't imagine how timing chains can get so stretched (unless there are different lengths available but I couldn't find evidence of that).
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

you can try john budgen he does ariel parts have you E mail peter kemp at single spares he has spares sum times not on the list
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

They are not a part that fails a lot and you don't know what alignment problems it may have had in a past life. I think it's only pushbike chain. That's what Scotts run on their VERY long maggy drive chain . Having the unkeyed sprocket turn a bit saved other things from damage. I've seen a few 1/2 time pinions sheer the keys on the mainshaft. That would imply some considerable load was applied by "something" at some stage. Nev
pappleton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by pappleton »

I've had a side plate snap on a secondary chain, on a Dommie. Stopped a couple of times on the ride home from work to see if I could find what was causing the strange sound, funny type of tightening / slackening feeling. Wasn't til I got home and had a real good look that I found it. Another time I was out riding with a chap on a highly tuned Red Hunter when his rear chain just snapped. Both were Reynolds, both bikes well cared for.
I've also installed over 100m of SWA cable, only to find that one conductor had a break inside, grrr. So experiance has taught me nothing is 100%, 100% of the time
BR,
Paul
Paul Appleton '53 VH plunger, '53 VHA rigid - in many boxes, '58 H.D. pan/shovel rigid
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

pappleton wrote: I've also installed over 100m of SWA cable, only to find that one conductor had a break inside, grrr. So experiance has taught me nothing is 100%, 100% of the time. Paul
DOH :roll: . . I've just installed 35 metres of 4-core 10sq/mm SWA cable - but I haven't tested it yet.

Fingers crossed.

;)

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
Mark Nazer

Post by Mark Nazer »

I know we have gone off thread, but i once had to locate a fault on newly installed telecomm cable that ran under a car park in Winchester.
The cable had been joined during manufacture and the core colours had been swapped around......... :roll:
Enjoy old age, you didn’t die young!
admin

Post by admin »

bevanclark wrote:Where would one get a good quality replacement timing chain - cannot see one in single spares and Drags one has a joining link which is presumably not ideal ?
Cheers,
Bevan
I just ordered two endless one from John Budgen. £13 ? each
I'll put one in this bike and one for spare .. probably never need it but hey

There was a debate about joining links on here, for this application.
If I remember the conclusion was that endless chains do remove a potential weak point but that there are plenty of (thicker) chains in use, under some serious stress, that all use joining links (think modern superbike rear chains for example ..). The mag chain is under little stress and is well oiled too.

cheers

john
Eero.Korhonen

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

I used to have industrial chain in second in my VH.
It stretched very much and finally snapped one of my
tours in 60 km/h. It flew very high and nearly landed
to a car window behind me. After that I have been using
X-ring-chains and have not adjust those at all.
O-ring chain is too wide.
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

That happened to me too Eero. The primary chain. The rear wheel locking up at highway spped was quite the experience.. :o
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.