unidentified Ariel

Bikes or not. Whatever
lionel.jeans

unidentified Ariel

Post by lionel.jeans »

Dear Ariel Owners MCC

please can you help?, found a couple of old photographs of my grandad with his Ariel motorcycle, can anyone tell me please what Ariel model it is?, and what year was this model manufactured, I am sure he bought the machine second hand. He was a keen motorcyclist by all accounts and was a fast rider.
kindest regards
Lionel
Attachments
grandfather smith and chum on his Ariel 1929 crop image.jpg
john.deeth

Post by john.deeth »

Hi Lionel,

What a great photo to have of your grandfather and on an Ariel to boot!

The bike is a 1927 Ariel Model "D". It is a 5hp, 500cc over head valve touring model, so designated because it came with footboards and a valenced front mudguard.

I'd be interested to see other photo's if you have some.

Best regards,

John.
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Lionel, I think it might be a 1928 Model D.
John may well be right with 1927, but either way, it's the deluxe model and pretty much a bike to die for.
And a great photo as well. They look pretty happy! - although the bloke on the back looks like he's at the wrong end of a pretty speedy ride..
Brenton
Attachments
Ariel1928 copy.jpg
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
markus.nikot
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by markus.nikot »

First view i would say 1928 but cannot see the characteristic bar fixing the tank caps and the adjusting wheel for the dripfeed is 28 in a forward position not sideways like shown. Should be 27.

Anorak
Markus
AOMCC German Branch Secretary
some Ariel - only Ariel
lionel.jeans

Post by lionel.jeans »

John,Brenton,Markus, Thank you very much for your help in identifying my grandads Ariel, I am having some problems posting a reply, probably me not the website
kind regards
Lionel
lionel.jeans

Post by lionel.jeans »

John, I have tried many times to attach the other photograph I have of my grandads Ariel D but cannot make it work for some reason, I will persevere, will try again tomorrow
rgds
Lionel
john.deeth

Post by john.deeth »

Hi Lionel,

Thanks for that. I look forward to seeing it if you can work it. I also have a photo of my grandfather on his motorcycle but it is a '26 Harley!
I am particularly interested in your photo's as I'm building a very similar model "C" i.e. without the valenced guard. These are a rare animal indeed, especially in the colony (Australia).

On first viewing the bike does look like a '28 model with the brooklands fishtail exhaust.(This has been modified by someone, probably to look like the later '28 model) However, the giveaway signs are as Markus pointed out, the position of the oil feed adjustment screw but also the very characteristic curved down tube of the frame. These are the frames that used to break a lot and almost sent Ariel to the wall.

Regards,

John.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Lionel, if you make the photo a Jpeg and about 800x600 it will upload ok. I'd love to see it too.
My Grandfather had a c. WW1 Triumph that he passed on to my dad, but unfortunately, no photo. You and John are very lucky.
Another positive is that I got to learn a bit more about the models - Thanks John D and Markus.
regards, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
lionel.jeans

Grandad Smiths Ariel D

Post by lionel.jeans »

John,Brenton
thanks for your messages, this is the other photo of grandads Ariel, the photo is dated 1929, so it seems the motorcycle could have been purchased new.
His dad, my great grandad was a professional footballer in England before the 1914-18 world war, but died at 33 from TB, my grandad was only 9 when this happened, so perhaps he had money left to him when he reached 18, or 21 years old. Grandad Smith in Kettering, Northampton was a carpenter-joiner by trade, earning just a pound or two a week, his wages seem too low to be able to buy a beautiful new Ariel D for £50.00.
kind regards
Lionel
Attachments
Grandad Smith on his Ariel D De Luxe photo date 1929 cropped.jpg
john.deeth

Post by john.deeth »

Hi Lionel,
Thanks for taking the time to load the second photo and to share the background and history. It certainly makes for an interesting story if tinged with some sadness.
The bike is a beautiful example with all the accessories and no expense spared, including a period speedometer driven off the front wheel. These speedo's were like swiss watches and a real work of art.
Many thanks again.
Regards,

John.