Bolt through cilinder solutions

Singles, twins and fours.
Rob.vdw

Bolt through cilinder solutions

Post by Rob.vdw »

Hello all,
Is there already a topic about the different ways to make a bolt through cilinder. I can not find anything with the search tool.
Since my last cilinder exploded on my race engine I want to make my new engine a bolt through one.
I am interested in what variuos solutions there are to do this, i am using a 5-stud head.
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Bolt through cilinder solutions

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Not easy to do - is it for a 500 or a 350?
These threads might help, there seem to be additional links in the second one but I've not checked anything.
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... f=4&t=4119
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... 1&start=10

Best of luck!!!!!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Rob.vdw

Post by Rob.vdw »

Its for a 500,
Thanks
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I can understand you wanting to do it. There are several issues. The base studs are much further from the cylinder axis than the holes in the head so they either splay out as they go down or you use some kind of offset thingy's just above the base flange. Drilling the cylinder does weaken it at four spots and if the studs go straight there's no room for a base nut. There's no need for the fifth nut( where provided for) to be a full length stud. _personally I wouldn't be bothered doing this unless I went to the trouble of getting NEW stronger cases which you can get from Australia. You still have the problem of the studs being too close to the cylinder bore at the top join face limiting over boring to a small figure unless you do extensive modifying of the head and barrell. Nev
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

Rather simple really...buy a JAP 84 B engine....then you will have 5 studs,without doing any drilling.
Rob.vdw

Post by Rob.vdw »

nevhunter wrote:personally I wouldn't be bothered doing this unless I went to the trouble of getting NEW stronger cases which you can get from Australia. You still have the problem of the studs being too close to the cylinder bore at the top join face limiting over boring to a small figure unless you do extensive modifying of the head and barrell. Nev
You speak of new cases, do you have a link or contact?
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Clive Harrop is (or was) making them for his '38 racer (along with a few other things, but his family do own a large engineering business....)
Here's a thread reference with a bit of a discussion about breaking crankcases
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... 3&start=60

I don't think there are any refs to Ariel parts on the Harrop website, but in threads in this forum there are links to info on the Australian Register website:
crankcases:
http://www.australian-ariel-register.co ... kcases.pdf
and followers:
http://www.australian-ariel-register.co ... lowers.pdf

Nice kit, not cheap!

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Rob.vdw

Post by Rob.vdw »

Looks nice indeed. But pricy...
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The Good exchange rate will help. It's beefed up thickness wise and much stronger heat treated alloy. Clive's motors are putting out much more HP than any production JAP would do, and they don't "blow". All this stuff is 1/2 Century+ old. The VH Ariel was a good choice back when Hartely
s were mucking around with them. They were called the POOR MAN's JAP. Nev
Rob.vdw

Post by Rob.vdw »

Exchange rate helps but customs and taxes here in Belgium will make up for that sadly enough.