Tight wad arrow

bob.keevil
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Tight wad arrow

Post by bob.keevil »

Hi all
Having just about done my first bike build I an asking the experts out there about starting. When its been stood for a couple of days it a pig to start on the kick starter but will start on the drop in only a few yards. I can tickle and flood the carb and kick and kick for no go or leave it for a few moments and come back only to get a couple of seconds run. When warm or hot it starts ok. The engine has done just over 100 miles any thoughts please.
Cheers Bob K.
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Tight wad arrow

Post by bh.sprint »

Hi Bob,

The only thing which occurs to me is the primary jet and the circuit/passages which lead to it. Take it out and give it a clean along with blowing some air through the passages.

Brian H.
White.John.A

Post by White.John.A »

Hi Bob,
This is a topic that interests me. With my bike I can get it to start consistently but it usually takes about 40 kicks. I am now going through various starting techniques. I have tried to see what is the best number of tickles, and does it start better with the air open or closed. Still no definitive answer as yet, but was on the point of asking other members their experiences when you posted your article. So I’ve joined in.
I have blown through the passages as Brian suggests, a number of times, but it remains the same. I am assuming that other members bikes do start easier than mine.
John
bob.keevil
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bob.keevil »

Hi John
With my other two arrows I have bored many who asked about starting with my routine. Fuel on tickle fuel until I get a wet thumb, fuel off .switch on the sparks. close choke and kick about four or five times and put the choke in and ride away with a big grin.Thats why I am now !!!!!
Cheers Bob K
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

bob you wont get far with the fuel off :oops: :lol:
White.John.A

Post by White.John.A »

Hi Bob,
I have always been reluctant to flood the engine to much as it quite quickly wets the plugs and then it won’t start without cleaning them. But as I’m experimenting with the best way to get the bike started, there is no good reason not to try your method.
Cheers,
John
bob.keevil
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bob.keevil »

Hi Brian
Thanks for the heads up on the air line, a trip to my mates air line seems to have sorted it out as we were back to my starting system appears to be working again
Cheers Bob K