Wanted white & Poppe pulley

Ian Newton

Wanted white & Poppe pulley

Post by Ian Newton »

I need a belt drive pulley for my 1913 White and Poppe engine has anyone ever remade any? do ones from other bikes fit? I have a couple of odd ones but the crank tapers are different.
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Wanted white & Poppe pulley

Post by adrie.degraaff »

I have made several, in most cases where you buy an very old machine the pulley is made bigger for more speed, (see the club Ariel), there for not fit to clime hills.
If you have one in the good diameter, remake the cone by making a bush cone (cone bush?) wat ever.
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huw.parsons

Re: Wanted white & Poppe pulley

Post by huw.parsons »

Hi Ian

I need a set too and have an original on my '12 bike. I just havnt got round yet to getting an idea of how much it's going to cost.
I'm quite happy to loan mine for pattern if you find someone who will make some up. I'll ask a couple of chaps I know as well.

They give ratios from 4.3:1 up to 6.25:1 if you use T link belt that will sit right in the bottom of the pulley. I'm investigating getting some
decent belt links made too to go with the vmcc belting. Much quicker to change gear but wont run as low in the pulley so not as good for really steep hills.
I dont think the TT pulley is worth going for. In my experience the W&P engine runs really sweetly at about 5.5:1 giving about 30mph and great versitality.
4.3:1 will get you up just about any road in the UK though.
I might think differently about the TT pulley if living in Holland or Norfolk..

Hope to see you at the annual?

Cheers

Huw