1950 350NH basket case

PeterW
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: 1950 350NH basket case

Post by PeterW »

Latest tip. Check the petrol tap is ok before you chuck petrol in the tank!
Not the brightest thing I've ever done.

Ah well, in other news:-
Filed the brake lever (from Bill Little's autojumble t'other week) to fit. My spindle is round with two flats and the lever hole was square. Measure, mark, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, file, check, fit. Perfect.
Got the footrests on, found they're not a pair and the one I've put on the left is too straight and therefore doesn't allow enough brake pedal travel. Might scrape the MOT but I'll need a proper one for on the road.
Filled the g'box with grease & oil using a pump grease-gun. It took aaaages and I'm still not convinced of the level inside the box.
Put the rear chain on only to find it rubbed on the primary case. Only about an 1/8th out but another thing that will need sorting properly.

Couldn't resist a quick spin round the garden. I'd thought the loosely mounted seat would be ok once my weight was on it. Wrong - still, made the missus laugh as I wobbled all over the shop. Back in the garage. Fix seat properly. Back for another quick spin.
Brilliant to be back on an Ariel again :¬)

Still a few things to do
- persuade the exhaust rocker cap to fit
- mount the temporary tank (missed a decent one on ebay grr)
- patch & attach the mudguards
- find a choke lever
- get a fuel filter for the banjo
- mount the exhaust (still waiting for a p-clip)
- check the carb (seems a bit rich when warm)
- take for "daytime" MOT (might need a new chain)
- apply for registration
- sort lights out (front one that came with it was tiny, only spare I have is Matchless & too deep)
- ride round grinning
- find better tank
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

Wow - Just realised I hadn't updated my progress for 5 years!!!
Partly, because its been embarrassingly slow.
Anyway, things done:
1. Found & fitted a panel tank (Thanks Dave, Adrie & Steve). Not quite right for the year but nothing else on the bike is correct and I like the look.
2. Smiths clock fitted in place of PA speed, Chronometric fitted to forks. Rover Viking added to speedo!
3. Mudguards patched & fitted
4. Daytime MOT passed
5. Registered - YUK :¬)
6. Lights fitted - Triumph front, replica MT110 rear.
7. Wiring loom invented (light switch & ammeter in box next to seat (no holes in front lamp)
8. New Amal concentric fitted
9. Exhaust valve spring replaced & valve caps added.
10. New plunger petrol tap fitted - leaks on reserve as bad as the old one....

So, as its the Wallingford Classic Rally http://www.wallingfordcarrally.org.uk/ tomorrow I'd thought I'd try to fix the blow from the head.

Question - should the head on a 1950 350 fit the spigot snugly?
The recess in the head is about 3 1/4 inches diameter while the spigot is about 3 1/8 and I cant get a decent seal.
Any thoughts? Could this be a 500 head?

1950 350 head
1950 350 head
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The later heads are bigger there. It's still a 350. Nev
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

The '52-'55 350 barrels had a smaller, lower spigot (as well as a bit more finning) to take a head gasket.
I'd be surprised if the top of the spigot on the (later) barrel even contacts the recess in the (early) head, but I think the difference might only be about 40 thou.
You might be able to get away with a thick copper ring gasket on top of the spigot or maybe get the head skimmed - or find a pre-'52 barrel, I don't think they're that rare for the 350.

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

I put a generous smear of hermatite around the spigot and that seems to have sealed it ok. Took it for a test run and she's getting there. Still needs the air lever closed until it gets properly hot even though the plug look darkish. However its still pulling oil past the exhaust valve despite the new guide so will get new valves to match and then see what the plug looks like.

Added a domed gauze bell-mouth to the carb. Safer & l like the look.
WP_20170527_11_56_32_Rich (2).jpg
Got frivolous and added a mascot in front of the speedo.
WP_20170527_11_57_34_Rich (2).jpg
WP_20170527_11_59_12_Rich.jpg
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

I'm afraid that I wouldn't trust anything other than a metal to metal lapped surface or a proper gasket to go further than the end of the road.

Ian
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

Fair enough, and I'll do a better job when I next take the head off to do the valves, but as long as its thin and away from oil-ways I' reckon hermatite does a good job.
Next thing on the list is a better silencer. Originally I wanted to keep it as "part of the bikes history" but its ridiculously loud and I suspect it's too free flowing for normal running.
If anyone has an appropriately scruffy Burgess they want a home for please let me know.
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Peter
It is generally the inlet valve guide that is responsible for oiling things up. The suction on the inlet stroke, sucks not only through the carb but also down the inlet valve guide. That is why many engines were only ever fitted with inlet valve stem seals. The exhaust port is generally pressurised so does not need the seals.
David
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

I think its the exhaust because I can feel the fit is worse but appreciate what you are saying re suction in in inlet vs pressure in exhaust. I'll replace both as, although the stem is more worn on the Ex the head is more worn on the In.
Its also quite possible that the rings are poor so I'll look at replacing them too.

On another subject, anyone know a convenient way of checking the gearbox oil level short of just emptying & refilling?
I know its not really much bother but it would be nice to, for instance, use something as a dipstick and know that if it is, say, two inches from the top its ok.
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

Still struggling to get it running right with the Concentric. With the jets as supplied by Drags (.106 / 180) it seemed very weak, lots of spitting back unless the air lever was kept closed.
I've reset the timing and raised the needle without improvement.

Today I fitted a 200 main jet (same as was in the monoblock it came with) but still weak. I was busy warming it up and adjusting the pilot and noticed the Exhaust was glowing! However will now run with the air lever open.
Decent spark & starts ok.

Anyone running a concentric on a old 350? If so what jets are you using?
Thinking of going to a .108 & 210

I haven't checked the cam yet, will make my next job.