1950 350NH basket case

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: 1950 350NH basket case

Post by simon.holyfield »

I did a sketch of the tank mount for someone, a while back, if you need it.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
PeterW
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by PeterW »

Bit more progress - tought I'd check the basics before heaving the engine into the frame.
Sludge trap out
Sludge trap out
Took the engine shock absorber off and found the previous owner wasn't a slave to the parts book!
Unusual washer
Unusual washer
Can you see what it is yet? Looked familiar but it took me a while until the key feature struck...
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

If the flywheelside is flat, your have steel ones.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Is it one of the bearing races from the steering column?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Its in my tent so I can't forget it, I will be in touch when I get home.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The wheels look to be steel. (Good finish and rounded edges). IF you can just put the bottom end back in you are pretty fortunate. I've never found stuff like that. Normally with me, everything has to be redone. Clean the oil tank out. ( my pet fetish). Nev
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

First off - Thanks Steve, much appreciated.
Second - nice guess Simon but no, its a decorative ring from a chubb or yale lock!

Engine wise, I'm not stripping anything I dont have to - will get it running and take it from there, if it runs ok I'm in luck - if not I'll just have to drag it apart again. I'm an eternal optimist!

Made a bit more progress this weekend. Found my nice new magneto bolts didn't fit - like an idiot I hadn't checked the threads - seems there are nuts of a smaller size trapped in the holes. Looks like a pretty sound bodge so just needed to find & trim bolts to fit. Less impressive bodge was the raw-plug for the mag plate to mag chaincase bolt. Weirdly the original thread was fine so no idea why it was done.
Heaved the engine in and made a fine job of gouging the fresh enamel. It needed aother coat anyway :¬)
Set the timing and put the head back on. Rocker covers back on.
Quick question. I've not had a ohv single before, is the exhaust tappet cap meant to be bigger than the inlet? Seems a funny thing to do but the cap that came with it doesn't fit even through the thread is good.

Next job is clean out the oil tank and get that fitted, then build the carb (monoblock) and maybe see if she'll fire before getting the drive sorted.
Engine fitted
Engine fitted
chopper bobber!
chopper bobber!
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Just back home Pete with your gear. Great Dutch rally btw. Drop me a pm and we will make some arrangements to get it too you

Steve
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

First, thanks Adrie - the tank mount is perfect and splendidly wrapped in an Ariel t-shirt!
Second, thanks to Steve for lugging (haha, see what I did there) it all the way back from the continent. Great to meet you and the Hampshire mob. Will be down again as soon as its on the road. btw, just discovered my clutch cover is khaki under the black.

Progress update :-
1. Spent way too much on on the missing carb bits and still managed to forget the throttle stop. Also, discovered the adjuster didn't come close to fitting. Managed to adapt a brass boiler fitting. Loosely fitted it all together. Enough for one evening.
2. Fitted the primary chain. Fitted the outer cover. Wondered how any bike could come with so many wrong bolts, might have to get a proper set some time.
3. Fitted the clutch, grooves all good, screws a bit wobbly. Tip of the day - bend the tips of the 6-bolt lock washer before fitting. Makes it a lot easier to tap them over.
4. Decided the scraps of oil pipe weren't worth fitting, fitted temporary clear plastic pipes. Was glad I did because it made it very obvious that I'd fitted them to the wrong stubs. Must refer to the manual more when in doubt.
5. Put some petrol in, watched it run out again (see 1.) Tightened the float cover. Put more petrol in.
6. Kicked it over a couple of times.
7. IT STARTED!!! Ran very nicely, great note from the "trials" exhaust. Even ticked over. Big grin :¬)

Still plenty to do but first run is always my favourite milestone.

http://youtu.be/TCYdfZMDpm8
Soft focus to disguise the state of the primary cover
Soft focus to disguise the state of the primary cover
"Trials" exhaust
"Trials" exhaust
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Well done Peter. Lugging,,,,,,,, aha, I get it, you will make a welcome addiction to the Hampshire Mob :D I'm looking forward to seeing your bike, have you got the oil returning to the tank ok?

Steve