ariel 500

Bikes or not. Whatever
ben.measures

ariel 500

Post by ben.measures »

hello, i'm looking to bulid a 500 on a small budget i currently have a tele/rigid that i use for trials has any one got any pointer to point me in the right direction
cheers
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Ben, it depends on what "small budget" means. ie to buy the bike or to restore it after.
Clubs are often a good way to buy. There are often bikes for sale in the back of Cheval, and you can build up a network of people helping you look. Is there an AOMCC branch near where you live?
Restoration wise, my feeling is that it's best to buy the most original bike you can find, and one that isn't in too many boxes. Expensive stuff will inevitably be missing.
You occasionally see project bikes where the restorer has run out of steam after buying a heap of new parts going reasonably inexpensively.
good luck, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

Hi Ben. You don't need lights to be road legal, you could just use it as is. Subject to insurance, MOT and tax disc.
ben.measures

Re: ariel 500

Post by ben.measures »

Im new to this forum and not in the club.so i dont no if there is a leicestershire branch? Small budget would be what ever i can afford to be honest. Im looking to build something to either scramble/hillclimb or trial. ive been finding ariel part go for silly amount of money on ebay.i already have a pair of engine casing and a mag .so thats a start. I kinda droped on with my 350 only paid £1250 a couple of years ago. so what kinda money would i be looking at for the big bits.e.g crank, frame, side casings? or whole bikes. Not interestred in pretty things that people have restored, as i will cut more then likley but cutting and chopping the frame to suit my needs.