Wanted/Swaps :1939 Ariel OG 250

j.gleeson39og

Wanted/Swaps :1939 Ariel OG 250

Post by j.gleeson39og »

Greetings one and all from Isle-of-Man...i have a part restored OG 250 from 1939,i need a good outer chain case and a complete gearbox,can any one help,i have a lot of OG swaps/spares,which include 2 compl;ete engines frame and running gear which are all up for "grabs",many thanks in advance,John Gleeson.
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi John, welcome to the forum. I hope you find the bits you need. Your is a rare bike - and an interesting one.
I've heard there are a couple in New Zealand.
A CP gearbox should be available through club spares. I'm assuming its a standard Burman for this model? Good luck with the primary - that will be more challenging.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

**moved to "For sale/wanted -Parts" and changed the title to hopefully make it more visible - it's unusual for swaps to be offered .. it's just like the multi-coloured swap shop here **
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by john.mitchell »

I fear it is not a CP gearbox, John. I had similar project once and it was also missing the gearbox and primary cases at the time I could not find out what the gearbox was (Before the internet!) so I gave up. The 1939 OG was a strange venture for Ariel. Normally many parts were interchangeable across the range. However the forks, frame, petrol tank, gearbox and primary cases were quite different and never used elsewhere. They also used up old stocks from the early 30s as in the crankcases.
Attachments
IMG_4267.jpg
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Editor John, It was my error.. Thanks for the photo.
John Gleeson let me know off-line that it is a "HP grease box". Sorry about that John.
I've never heard of a HP, but the box in the photo certainly isn't a CP...
I had a ferret around and found this photo of the primary case. It really is an unusual bike.
Do you know how the forks are different? They look very like the ones on my '34 LH, ie without the check springs.
regards, Brenton
Attachments
OG Primary.JPG
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
adrie.degraaff

Re: Wanted/Swaps :1939 Ariel OG 250

Post by adrie.degraaff »

There was sometime ago a engine, gearbox, primairy set on engine plates forsale in the Netherlands, it didn't sell, I can make a free asking advert for you on "marktplaats" to find it again.