Indian Made Girders

Singles, twins and fours.
andy.mcgregor

Indian Made Girders

Post by andy.mcgregor »

Hi,

I'm looking for a set of girder forks for a pre-war Hunter. I see on eBay that there are some new replicas on sale from India.

Has anyone tried these? Any comments on the quality and fit?
Cheers,

Andy
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Indian Made Girders

Post by john.nash »

these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ARIEL-RED ... 3cc4165b8f

maybe the club should get a set for evaluation ........ ?
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by john.mitchell »

I agree. The ideal would be to lend them to anyone still doing Pre 65 trials with a girder fork Ariel. I certinly tested mine when I was doing it.
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Is there any chance they are W/NG or copies? Nev
andy.mcgregor

Post by andy.mcgregor »

Wow I'm impressed- I only sent my application off to the join the club a couple of days ago. Then when I post my first question, the reaction is 'We don't know the answer to that - so let's buy a set and test them for you.' That's some service!! :D

I've had a trawl around the Internet for more info on these Indian made girders. They seem to have been available for Nortons for a little while and they are now also available on eBay for BSAs, Triumphs, and Enfields. I'm assuming that they are probably all coming from the same manufacturer.

There's quite a lot of opinion out there on forums, but very, very little of it from people who've actually got a set. There does seem to be some consensus that the forks are cast rather than forged, and that the castings are rather porous and the welds poor. It doesn't sound too hopeful, which is a real shame. But I'd love to see a set tested on a trials bike as John suggested.

Andy
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

nevhunter wrote:Is there any chance they are W/NG or copies? Nev
Do you know, Nev, I thought a similar indian set for WNG's was in EBAY a while back ...
andy.mcgregor wrote:Wow I'm impressed- I only sent my application off to the join the club a couple of days ago. Then when I post my first question, the reaction is 'We don't know the answer to that - so let's buy a set and test them for you.' That's some service!! :D

I've had a trawl around the Internet for more info on these Indian made girders. They seem to have been available for Nortons for a little while and they are now also available on eBay for BSAs, Triumphs, and Enfields. I'm assuming that they are probably all coming from the same manufacturer.

There's quite a lot of opinion out there on forums, but very, very little of it from people who've actually got a set. There does seem to be some consensus that the forks are cast rather than forged, and that the castings are rather porous and the welds poor. It doesn't sound too hopeful, which is a real shame. But I'd love to see a set tested on a trials bike as John suggested.

Andy
Saying and doing are two separate things. :D
We'd need to extract the money from the club, find someone who knows alot about girders and give them to him for evaluation and then give them to someone brave to try out for a while ....
I think it's a good idea but then i thought finding 6k for 500 pistons was a good idea ... oh.. and I also believe there is a WW2 bomber on the moon :

John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
andy.mcgregor

Post by andy.mcgregor »

I emailed the supplier and got back a reply that, "this is made of forged and cast steel both has been used in this. like fork legs has been is made of forged."
and a link to some more photos with dimensions: http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g42 ... %20GIRDER/

At the moment, I'm tempted but I can't decide if getting a set would be a good idea or a VERY bad idea.

Andy