1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Anything about Ariels
Damien Towning

Re: 1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Post by Damien Towning »

Also my plan that I have been thinking of over the past few days is leave the remains of the steel tube inside the lugs and to not try to mill heat or otherwise pull that stuff out. I have done a steel to steel bicycle frame before with push on lugs using silver solder and I am confident with that. But I am a bit wary of trying to braze directly to a 90 year old bits of cast iron. My thinking was braze a plug in each lug. Then sleeve a new tube over that and either braze that in to the lug and the plug or mig around it to the plug.
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

If you can find the right seamless inch tubing than make new ones, there is no problem in re using the lugs after maschining the tube-ends out, done it many times.
First pin all in line with 3mm pins and than brase it to solid.
johnmack

Post by johnmack »

Damien I can maybe help you out with the dimensions of the 1928 Ariel frame you are requiring.At the moment I have one sitting on my workshop bench to take measurements from.As for sourcing parts the East European Ariel Klub Slovensko have a good range of quality spares. You have to tap on the word incercia to see the listings etc.
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Right then. After some excellent help from a forum member here I now have a pair of engine cases which look like they will be the ticket. Twice around the world but here they are !

Things I am looking for :
- Distance between centres of the front and rear axles ( wheel base length ) also a bit hard since you can move the axles in the dropouts ..
- Space between the rear drop outs
- Diameter of the original rims
- Front engine bracket ( turning out to be hard to find ) or a picture of a front engine bracket with a ruler next to it.
- Rear engine bracket as same as above !

I've got a picture of the front bracket from the parts manual and the part number for it. But of course no dimensions and no certainty as to accuracy of the drawing though I suspect it was traced around to make the drawing. If I cannot find a bracket I am going to use a combination of measurements off the engine case the frame and that drawing to make some new ones and get them plasma cut.
Attachments
engine_cases.jpg
engine_plate_parts_num.jpg
engine_bracket.jpg
engine_bracket.jpg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 5530 times
MirkoCrkvenjakov

Post by MirkoCrkvenjakov »

(Powered by frubar.net)
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Thanks for that! Against the right angle is exactly what I needed. Had a quick go this morning at correcting it in the drawing tools. What I will do now is measure up the positions of the holes on the motor case and compare. Also thanks to yet another helpful forum member might be able to get a direct trace of the brackets. Will be interesting to see how close I got through my mucking about with pulling things out of drawings. If anybody is wondering what tool I used it is open source and is called Krita and it is quite handy. I think it is a lot better to the mind boggle of a confuse called Gimp which is also open source and hurts my brain. Anyhoo after I have smooshed enough pictures and drawings together i'll make the bracket in a cad tool I have been working on myself for ages to solve just these sorts of making bracket type problems. Something interesting I am noticing as I take various measurements off the frame is just how nicely they fall both as inches and mm. That is if you convert backwards and forwards they all still seem to make sense ! Seems to me Ariel were quite a smart bunch of fellows ...
Attachments
ariel_engine_bracket_second_corrected.jpeg
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Had a go at dropping the drawing I pulled out of the parts list on top. Close but not quite :)

< think I messed up the DPI somehow >
Attachments
ariel_engine_bracket_second_overlay.jpeg
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Trying to work out from the Ariel parts list today if any of these barrels might fit.

ttps://www.britcycle.com.au/?s=ariel+barrel+&post_type=product
Richard Kal
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Richard Kal »

Hi Damien,
I have a spare 557 cc barrel,
Regards,
Richard
Perth
johnmack

Post by johnmack »

Hi Damian if you send me your address I can send you a cardboard template of the front and rear engine plates.l am in New Zealand.can also do same with hand gearchange gate?