1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Anything about Ariels
Damien Towning

Re: 1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Post by Damien Towning »

John Mack! Another Kiwi! I am JAFA living here Australia :) Sent you a PM few days ago about the frame measurements at the back as well. Not sure if it sent it or if it just mysteriously held it. Anyway yes please on the templates. Sending you another pm with address details. What a great forum this is.
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Richard Kal,

Do you know what year / model number the barrel is? I've been trying to figure out today from the parts list what fits and what doesn't. A bit confused because from what I can see only one barrel fits the 1928 year and that is the A6/199 but I am sure that is not the case and that other later barrels will fit? I've attached pictures from parts list .
Attachments
barrels.jpg
barrel_part_nos.jpg
Richard Kal
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Richard Kal »

Hi Damien,
My barrel is to suit the sidevalve (integral head). There is a mounting flange with two studs, for the carburettor inlet.

Richard
johnmack

Post by johnmack »

Hi Damien have not received your posts apart from June 18th.John Mackintosh.
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Hi John,

I reckon I was making things more complicated for myself than they need to be anyway. I was going to ask for some sort of triangulation off the two holes in the bottom of the seat post out to where an axle would be if it was tucked up in the rear drop outs. But I realised some straight lines will probably do it. Something like this in the picture. Line back from the front engine mount. Line up. Line out. Then width between the dropouts. I am just trying to work out where the rear dropouts should be relative to the rest of the frame you see.
Attachments
ariel_frame_drawing_cartesian.jpg
ariel_frame_drawing_cartesian.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 5609 times
cmfalco
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by cmfalco »

I hope the attached helps.
Attachments
ArielFrame.jpg
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Thanks for that Cmfalco. That is great. With that and templates for the brackets at the front and the motor cases I think this will be enough to build a jig that gets it pretty straight. I was also thinking before I commit to the final brazing I will also hunt down as much of the rear end as I can find to make sure it all fits up properly. Also the hunt is on today for appropriate bolts for the brackets and the motor cases. Trying to pick them out of the parts list is taking awhile.
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Andy helpfully pointed out studs not bolts. Began to think this today as well since the only things I can find in the parts list that make sense are stud like. Though the ones I was looking at start with C not A and were under front hub. The Motoeology continues.... :?
Attachments
studs.jpg
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Tie Bolts !
Attachments
tie_bolts.jpg
johnmack

Post by johnmack »

Hi Damian if you lookup Ariel club Slovakia they have many reproduction parts for black Ariels that you will require Karol Burger is the guy to contact lots of detailed photos etc.
John Mackintosh New Zealand.