1955 NH 350 cc con rod dimensions

Anything about Ariels
D.Hamilton

1955 NH 350 cc con rod dimensions

Post by D.Hamilton »

I wish to know the inside dia. (the outside dia. of the bearing) of the connecting rod big- end.
I require a new "big -end" bearing but I am unsure if the con rod I have is of the correct dia.(1.843 inches)
I presume the bearing is a press-fit into the con-rod -does the con-rod require heating before inserting the bearing?
The old big-end pin is 0.986 inches dia.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1955 NH 350 cc con rod dimensions

Post by paul.jameson »

All NH350 engines have the same big end as the VB and VG with a taper fitting crankpin. These are, and always have been, fairly easy to find so unless your engine has been modified for racing by someone I would expect the standard taper pin big end to fit without any trouble at all.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Some replacement big end assemblies are supplied with a bit more interference than original to allow for the effect of the sleeve being removed a few times previously, consequently they are sometimes a bit too tight to press in with the right fit . If Alpha bearings are still operating normally I would suggest if you don't have access to lapping or honing equipment you send it to them or another professional familiar with this work. (harder to find as this type of bottom end is less common) Sometimes the rod eye is out of round also, requiring truing first. The actual part has been the same for a long time as Paul says. The big end is precision work needing accurate fits. Nev
D.Hamilton

Post by D.Hamilton »

Thank you both (Paul and Nev).
I will go ahead and purchase a big-end assembly .
Cheers
Dave