Sq4 Mk1 Timing chain tensioner

Singles, twins and fours.
Brian.Challinor
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Sq4 Mk1 Timing chain tensioner

Post by Brian.Challinor »

Hello
If anyone has there timing case cover removed, I would be grateful of a picture showing the tensioner. Thanks
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Brian, does this help?
Attachments
Jim lee.docx
(268.59 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Brian.Challinor
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Sq4 Mk1 Timing chain tensioner

Thanks Roy
I have just purchased parts 2110-31 and 2114-37 which are the tensioner blade and spring but I can not see how they can fit, either the spring is to short or the blade is too long. Looking at the pictures they are not even fitted to the bike . In my box of bits I have a solid steel tensioner the same as the one shown. Am I right in thinking they did away with the spring loaded tensioner and just had the solid steel tensioner that you adjusted up against the chain.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Brian, oops Mk1. Sorry, I should have read the header of your post.
This is from the owners guide. If it doesn't help, I'll take the timing cover off and photograph the assembly for you.
Brenton
Attachments
Ariel1938OwnersGuide26.jpg
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Brian.Challinor
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Roy
Looking at at fig 10 it would appear that Draganfly has sent me the wrong tensioner spring. I'm just wondering now whether I can do away with the spring and blade arrangement and just having a solid steel tensioner as in the other diagram. The spring measures 4 1/2'' between centres of spring hooks, and the blade 6 3/4''.
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Brian
You cannot do away with the blade and spring or you will wear through the stop in probably less than 1000 miles. The blade is spring steel, quite hard and applies tension over its full length and yet will wear through in possibly 25,000 miles. Its life can be greatly extended by hard chrome plating. The later duplex chain tensioner is different .
David
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Brian, the measurements you give are about right compared to this one I found.
The blade is about 7" long.
I don't know whether the later tensioner would work (I'll take David's word for it), but given your measurements and mine, the one you have should fit.
There may be some trick to assembly that we are unaware of?
It looks to me that you might be able to fit the blade, then pull up the spring to fit the pin.
Brenton
Attachments
tensioner.jpg
Brian.Challinor
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Brenton
Does that mean when fitted the spring extends allowing the end in the blade with the small hole to rub against the sqaure block on the case. phew.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Brian, yes.
As the chain wears, the spring pulls the the steel into a steeper "D" that takes up the slack.
The (smaller) sliding end allows this to happen.
On the one I photographed, the spring was the wrong way around on the small pin. I think the hook of the spring should go through the slot on the top of the small pin (towards the blade) or it will rub on the block and may wear through. This would leave the open part of the "hook" rubbing on the block.
Sounds like you've got it sorted?
Brenton
Brian.Challinor
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

P1010086.JPG
P1010090.JPG
Heres a pic of what i'm working with. I think the arced steel adjuster is not the correct one, I might be able to shorten and use it. Is the oil pipe used on the left? In the bottom pic is this where the blade should sit, if so my spring is going to extend 1 1/2'' . It would have all been easier if the bike was complete when I purchased it .