Post by KevinDennis »

IMG_8629.jpg
Hi all, can anyone tell me how to remove this bearing on my '53 Sq4 please
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Sq4 bearing removal

Post by john.whiting »

It probably simpler to pull the gear and bearing together.......with a 3 leg puller.To pull only the bearing,use a two piece guillotine type bearing extractor and a puller and legs to suit the extractor threads........dont use Chinese rubbish,go for OTC ,or something like .I prefer to use a hydraulic puller with a remote pump..........be very careful not to damage crankshaft centres with screw type pullers ,use a protector over the crank end.
KevinDennis

Post by KevinDennis »

Thanks John, I have purchased the recommended coupling gear puller from Drags but don’t see anyway it can work on the front gear?
KevinDennis

Post by KevinDennis »

Also, There is no room behind bearing to put jaws of any puller
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

Isn't that the bearing which should have- if I remember correctly - a 0.001" larger inner so it's a sliding fit?
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

That is why a guillotine puller is so called ...it has sharp edges which can be forced into the radius of a bearing race ,separating the bearing from whatever is close up behind it.You could also cut the cage,remove the rollers,and clamp the puller into the thrust shoulder of the bearing.................if ,as mentioned the bearing does have a larger bore,it should slip off ,with maybe just a bit of encouragement from a small prybar.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I find the only way to remove this bearing is to destroy the bearing cage (which is easy enough) and then use a 3 leg puller on the bearing inner. I think you will find that the last time the engine was assembled that loctite was used to take out the extra 1 thou. If so, you will need to heat the bearing inner with a blowlamp to get the loctite to let go of it.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.