Paint or Plastic Coat

Anything about Ariels
Glyn.Ford

Post by Glyn.Ford »

Hello all. Many thanks for your advice so far. I must apologise about my incorrect terminology. I used the word Galvanise, where I should have used "phosphate".

I am still unsure which way to go. However I visited these guys in Preston : http://www.paint-strip.co.uk/strip_bike.html.

Has anyone used this company? Any comments about their description of their methods?

They will do the chamical clean, phosphate coat and prime or powercoat the frame, swing arm and tins, including the tank, for about £170 - £200.
They use a liquid cleaner for the tins, hence the tank will be clean dipped and phosphate coated on the inside and out.

So I have a choice. Get them to clean, phrosphate and prime everything, so I can paint as I wish. Or get them to continue with plastic coat (black) of the frame, swing arm, engine mount plates, etc.

To be honest, I've just watched "A Bike Is Born", and idea of geting the frame back with primer and painting it with enamel black myself looked pleasing.

Any further advice appreciated.

Regards.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Glyn, Phosphating makes a lot of sense, I'd be very tempted to follow the suggestion in your yesterday's post. Do remember that moisture can penetrate unprotected primer,so, be prepared to keep all the parts somewhere warm and dry until you apply topcoat. I'm sure you'll agree that the weight of common-sense opinion and experience is against powder coating.
I spray painted a grit-blasted BMW frame with "Tractol" or "New Holland" Agricultural Machine many years ago and it lasted all those years and was still looking good when the bike was sold.
Good luck,
Robin.