WNG carb advice needed and road legal

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
MikePearson

WNG carb advice needed and road legal

Post by MikePearson »

I have bought a non standard green lane WNG with Heinz 57 set of odd parts such as tele forks because all my other projects are off the road and I yearn on sunny Sundays.
It had a very worn 276 that would not tick over, pilot screw did nothing and the pilot jet thread is odd as none of my spare pilot screws fitted. Air screw thread had stripped. I have gone down the following routes.
I have the machinery to bore/refurbish and have identified source of 1mm wall thick stainless tube but have stalled there due to lack of play time in my machine shop.
Bought a 276 body and failed to notice it was LH.
Bought a 276 body that was advertised wrong.
So bought a complete 276, failed to notice its longer body that wont fit in gap with oil tank.
So bought a 376 monoblock, too long.
Lot of ebay re selling time with little result.
I just want to ride the bike, and want easy starting and tickover.

Will a 24mm Wassell concentric work? Is 24mm close enough to 7/8"?

Given age I gather no tax and MOT is needed. I was going for day time MOT set up and following a recent VMCC article I gather no stop light horn or speedo is required. It has no electrics fitted. is a chainguard required. The chances of getting stopped are small as I live a few miles from Newlands Corner so wierd and exotic bikes abound.
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: WNG carb advice needed and road legal

Post by Mick D »

MikePearson wrote:Given age I gather no tax and MOT is needed.
Hi
I think you need to do more research here:

Does the bike have a current registration? - if not you may get an age related one, (OK for historic vehicle class), or a Q, (not so).
Historic vehicle class requires the bike to have not been significantly modified in the last 30 years - yours sounds like it has been.
Pretty sure a horn is required, speedo and stop light after a certain date.

Sorry to point this out but better to get to the bottom of this first.
Regards Mick
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by admin »

I had a concentric 626 on a WNG motor. Straight fit.
I put a 140 main jet in, but that will vary depending on engine condition and mods

The purists will jump up and down but I have concentrics on other ariels too and they work fine (and are much cheaper than a new pre-monobloc)
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

For a bike of the W/NG era you'll need a horn and a speedo of some sort and I'm
pretty sure you'll need a chain guard too. The horn only needs to be a bulb horn,
nothing fancy.

Can you post some pictures please? It's always interesting to see what others are
riding.
MikePearson

Post by MikePearson »

After repeated fiascos trying to get a carb for a WNG I took advice here, went for a 626 concentric from Wassell and it is a dream. Tickover can be set so low you think it will surely stall.
In order to get it road legal I have got hold of an electric horn and I need to fabricate a chain guard and then consider the speedo situation.
After endless searches about what you need on such a bike with a 'daytime' MOT but for a bike old enough you don't actually need an MOT - I have had every sort of advice. It seems very loose. Maybe speedo (on my Montesa of 1974 without one my local strict MOT station said nothing), maybe brake light (none on my Montesa), horn (must not be bulb type except when its OK to be bulb type??). I opt for safety, chainguard and leave the rest to argue in court.

Mike
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

The horn only needs to be a bulb type - 'continuous tone' horns are a post-1980-something
requirement.

The speedo isn't an MOT requirement. It used to be C&U I think but it has been a requirement
since 1935. I don't think there's any particular type of speedo that has to be used except it needs
to show the vehicle's speed for the whole speed range of the vehicle within an allowed
tolerance. This used to be plus or minus 5% but again I know it's changed since I last had
anything to do with it.

If there are no other lights fitted on a 'bike of this age there doesn't need to be a stoplight
fitted.

The MOT testers' manual is available somewhere on line. Search it out for it has all the
detail about horns and lights and exhausts too.

After all this research I recommend a good long ride on a nice old 'bike to soothe
your soul.
admin

Post by admin »

MikePearson wrote:After repeated fiascos trying to get a carb for a WNG I took advice here, went for a 626 concentric from Wassell and it is a dream. Tickover can be set so low you think it will surely stall.
In order to get it road legal I have got hold of an electric horn and I need to fabricate a chain guard and then consider the speedo situation.
After endless searches about what you need on such a bike with a 'daytime' MOT but for a bike old enough you don't actually need an MOT - I have had every sort of advice. It seems very loose. Maybe speedo (on my Montesa of 1974 without one my local strict MOT station said nothing), maybe brake light (none on my Montesa), horn (must not be bulb type except when its OK to be bulb type??). I opt for safety, chainguard and leave the rest to argue in court.

Mike
a horn is easy ... buy a small moped horn and mount it under the tank via one of the tank mounting bolts. Wire it directly to the battery and to the earth switch on the handlebars. Whole job will be less then £20 for period replica switch and horn.

You can put a bicycle GPS speedo on the handlebars. No wires. backlit at night etc.
I have the lowest cost Garmin edge on mine, which I swap across the bikes with inaccurate speedos. I don't care too much about my speed, after all I am never going over 60mph but there are too many speed cameras around to not have something accurate-ish.
Looks like there are other bicycle gps speedos out there which are cheaper ..
PeterW

Post by PeterW »

Yep, I did my 1950 NH "green laner" a while back. Took it to the MOT centre with a cheap horn (£5 off ebay) connected to some aa batteries taped under the tank. I also added a cycle speedo - again cheap enough off ebay. I'd made up a chain-guard because, like the horn & speedo, even if they are not required they are good to have. Once MOTd I got it registered with an age related plate. Apparently there is no such thing as a "day time" MOT, its just a normal MOT with a note that the vehicle shouldn't be used at night. I added lights later. If you have these things they have to work so if its an optional item and plays up on the day just take it off :¬)
Incidentally my exhaust which has a stubby little silencer passed the MOT but I'm still looking for a better one so I don't frighten the horses...
MikePearson

Post by MikePearson »

Thanks guys. Got a field stand from India today after 6 weeks. Had to ream out the hole by 0.2mm but it works. Lovely idea imho. I bought John Budgens last 2 frame clips and lost one so been through the joy of fashioning one out of 0.7mm spring steel. Soften form harden temper. Yes I can confirm, it must be out of twice as stiff 1.0mm.
I have slung a .99p Chinese ebay special horn on bars and got a second hand Redditch Enfield chain guard that will fit nicely with some hammering. £22 Indian chronometric rip off including cable. The Burman has a speedo fitting that I blocked and I will cut cable down and put Speedo on side out the way. New concentric great.
Tele forks on it though (I have girders on 42 Harley. At the moment top out, bang against top stop noisiiy as they rebound to the top Advice???

Just off to Morocco with brass primary for my 42 Harley as part of restoration no 2. I cncd a pattern and hand beat one, I soldered the top and sides today. Better than I thought but I want see what the Marrakesh brass metalworkers can do.

Parting discovery today having finally got crankcases sealed cams in and heads on is that having welded the new camlobes (see enfieldracing.com), a wicked desert racing mushroom profile, I have got the all the valve timing wrong. Another 2 weeks delay in a 5 year restoration grinding off the welds and retaining it 4 Times. I bought the WNG to make most of sunny days. Nearly ready.

Apart from insurance what does one do about getting taxation when you don't need it. Isnt there some form of declaration?
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

You do need to tax it - it's just the tax is zero - so it needs to be registered with DVLA and you
need a V5C in your name. If you've got one you can tax it at either the Post Office or on line.
If you haven't got one the next thing to do is check and see if DVLA have any record -

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

- is the place to go. If they have and it's your 'bike you should be able to apply for a duplicate. This should
be free as it didn't come with the bike when you bought it. If there isn't a record or it comes back as
a Mercedes or something you'll need to apply for an age-related number. Search this forum for others'
experiences of this.

Good luck, you may need it.