Footrest spline repair 1959 NH

Singles, twins and fours.
Roderick.Bradley

Footrest spline repair 1959 NH

Post by Roderick.Bradley »

The LH rider footrest spline on the frame I'm getting ready for painting is a bit bent, the splines flattened & the O.D. is 0.716 inches as compared to 0.739 inches on the RH spline. The bike has been on the road on its side too many times in the long distant past. By the way, I'm assuming LH & RH splines should be the same diameter but are they? Anyway, the problem is that the footrest (I've tried several) is a sloppy & very insecure fit on this LH spline.

I've thought of a couple of approaches to repair :-
a) I've recovered a broken off spline from a second hand footrest which is not new but not bad. It could be welded on after the original damaged one is cut off the frame
b) I could try heating up the spline & attempt to straighten it; perhaps expanding the O. D. too by forcing a rod through the bore. Maybe easier.

Anyone got a better idea?

Rod
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Footrest spline repair 1959 NH

Post by Mick D »

Hi
Don't Draganfly offer BSA splines for this very condition?
Regards Mick
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Drags are out of stock.
Both splines should be identical left/right, on the frame.
You've got nothing to lose by trying to reclaim the existing mounting before you cut it off!
I've just reclaimed (hopefully) a frame that had all the footrest mountings hacked off, using a couple of splined pieces carefully removed from a scrap frame.
I've got a feeling that if you source the splines from BSA footrest mountings you get a longer section to play with and it may be easier to get a decent length of the spline mating with the spline of the Ariel footrest support, 'cos the Ariel footrest supports only have a short spline inside them and I think they are intended to match up exactly with the mounting on the frame.

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Roderick.Bradley

Post by Roderick.Bradley »

Thanks, Simon, Thanks, Mick.
Rod