1962 Golden Arrow, remove primary chain case

BernieP

1962 Golden Arrow, remove primary chain case

Post by BernieP »

1962 Golden Arrow, trying to remove primary chain case, only I have removed the chain tensioner adjuster plug screw, and the chain tensioner adjuster plug T60, but when I removed, the chain tensioner adjuster Nylon sleeve T69, it is in two half’s and I cannot get the other bit out of the chain case, so cannot get the case off, any help and suggestions much appreciated.
Also where can I get a replacement chain tensioner adjuster Nylon sleeve T69? Draganfly are out of stock.
Thanks
Bernie
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: 1962 Golden Arrow, remove primary chain case

Post by Ivor Collins »

Is the metal drive tang of the adjuster exposed? I use a 1/4 socket on the tang to make adjustments, I think it’s a 4.5mm socket that fits. I can check if it will help?

Otherwise you could drill into the remainder of the plug and screw a self tapper in, using mole grips to pull it out and then slacken off using the socket techniques

Regards
Ivor
BernieP

Post by BernieP »

No all I can see is the other half of the Nylon sleeve, will have to try what you have suggested but will not get mole grips on, as the Nylon sleeve is at the far end of the adjuster hole.
Thanks for you quick reply
Bernie
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by bh.sprint »

Hello Bernie,

The people to check for a new nylon sleeve adjuster are John Ellis of AOMCC two stroke spares and Keith in Chester , I can give you his number if you don't have it,he has a lot of spares.

A batch of new adjusters were made by one of the club members a few years ago but I don't think there are any left now.

Brian H.
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

You don’t need to get the mole grips IN the hole.
Use a long enough self tapper so that it extends to outside the chaincase.

Ivor
BernieP

Post by BernieP »

Thanks for that Ivor, I was not thinking out of the box!
Bernie
BernieP

Post by BernieP »

Brian
Can you give me the contact details for both John Ellis of AOMCC two stroke spares and Keith in Chester, I did send you a PM asking the same.
Thanks again
Bernie
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

How are you getting on with it Bernie?

With the storms gone I have ventured into the workshop this morning. The 1/4 drive socket needed to adjust the chain is actually a 5.5mm. I know it’s a bit odd using a hex socket to engage onto a flat tang but it works so much better than that nylon plug. Their layout is probably the dumbest design on the machine and a good example of how to solve a simple problem with a daft solution. They were surely joking when someone suggested connecting via a nylon plug, o ring, locking screw and blanking plug. Especially when they either stick or shear off after some use!

Having looked at the parts, it would seem likely that the nylon will have sheared on the diameter change so entirely possible the nylon could be punched down the bore to expose the flat drive section of the tang to permit adjustment. A piece of tube would be the ideal thing to use and try a few taps with a hammer to see what happens. If not, drilling down the centre of the nylon would make this possible.

Any other experience of this problem out there?

Ivor
BernieP

Post by BernieP »

Thanks for the reply Ivor, I have now got the primary chain case off, I did do similar to what you suggested as I could not get it out the way it went in.
I would totally agree with you about the design of the chain tensioner adjuster Nylon sleeve what a daft idea.
Couldn't it be made out of say brass?
Thanks again to all that have helped me in getting my primary chain case off.
Now for getting all the parts I need, I know Draganfly do most of them.
Bernie
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

I do not agree with some of the comments above, this engine was designed in 1955, the latest built engines are now 54 years old with many original Nylon chain adjusters still going strong with the set up as a whole working well, it keeps the chain at the correct adjustment until normal wear takes place, and no oil leaks, what more could you ask for, I don't think Val Page and Ariel really thought such an item would still be in service nearly 60 years on, even if they had I'm sure they would have been well pleased with the design and choice of materials chosen from the outset. Roger