'58 SQ4 REBUILD

Singles, twins and fours.
StewartPorter

'58 SQ4 REBUILD

Post by StewartPorter »

Hello all, new member/owner, Stewart in Glasgow here. I've recently acquired a '58 Square Four in proverbial " basket-case" condition. Happy days! My first Ariel :D I've only been lusting after one for about 45 years!
All in all Ive got a good straight '58 plunger frame; matching forks and tank ( both servicable with some work); '58 mk2 engine with rusty bores - currently seized but will be salvageable and only bored out to +10thou. Came with two heads (bare) and an extra barrel. Currently being dismantled. Decent dynamo. Front exhaust pipes in good nick. Silencers - one a bit rotten, other ok. A rusty front mudguard that doesnt look kosher. Oil tank is a wrong un. Set of handlebars look ok. A stright bare rear hub. And.... two boxes of assorted rusty parts, mostly gear cogs n stuff from which ive already salvaged and cleaned up a clutch. So a pretty good start for a leisurely "lazarus" project. No paperwork or idea of old reg.
So far the plan is to rebuild using as many original parts as possible without becoming OCD about it. I want a tight, reliable bike to ride regularly rather than a museum piece. Obviously some parts will have to be new. And the main things on wishlist at the moment are dizzy, carb and rocker gear......
Some bits, Ill need help identifying as I've more experience with BSA and Triumph than Ariel.
So.... first item for identification is this rather cool toolbox which came with the bike but that i havent seen in any pics.....
Any info/advice most gratefully appreciated
Cheers
Stewart
Attachments
20190221_184739.jpg
20190221_184710.jpg
20190221_184652.jpg
20190221_184718.jpg
'59 D1Bantam, '60 5Ta Speed Twin, '76 Yamaha FS1-E, '58 Sq4 (Lazarus project)
roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: '58 SQ4 REBUILD

Post by roger.fellows »

There was a late oil tank on ebay yesterday as you may well be aware. I've not seen rocker gear more than once in a blue moon.

All the best
StewartPorter

Post by StewartPorter »

Thanks, Roger. Actually i bagged that oil tank. Looked nice and perfect for my needs. Deep pockets and thee patience of a saint will be required, i think. Ive got mk1 rocker covers but nothing else. I seem to have enough cogs to build half-a-dozen gearboxes....
Thought I'd won a watch when i came across a DK4A repro from PowerSpark for 100 quid but apparently it's only suitable for an Austin 7.
It seems that the SU MC2 was also used on the Triumph Thunderbird so at least it's not so model-specific.
I'm resigned to this not being an overnight project! :)
Attachments
15507796364181435155760.jpg
1550779561255-1236384178.jpg
roger.fellows

Post by roger.fellows »

Sorry Stewart, I could have been more welcoming, but dinner was about to go on the table. A lovely steed when you get there!

Joining the AOMCC is probably a good plan if you've not already.

There's been a distributor or two on ebay recently. Do you have the tensioner for the timing chain? The club may have all the other bits I think.

I take it you're aware of Draganfly for parts?
StewartPorter

Post by StewartPorter »

Dinner ALWAYS comes first, Roger! Yes, ive got the tensioner. Inside the timing casingvwas all pretty tidy. Oil pump is fine too.
Joined the club yesterday, so first posts for me. I've got a parcel en route from Drags already with tools in for strip down. Ill get on to the club spares with my list. Im pretty sure I've got the wrong top n bottom yokes for the nacelle forks - the collection is a bit random but hopefully be able to swap/sell most of the "wrong" parts to fund buying the "right" bits. I'm not averse to an upgrade here and there either. Back in the day most folk were for improvement over originality. Seems to be a more recent obsession with original rivets/ washers etc..... Not that there's anything wrong with that at all.
Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

The Thunderbird carburator and the Square Four one is not quite the same, but I'm not aware of the difference. Some one here will tell you.
StewartPorter

Post by StewartPorter »

Thanks , Knud. Think it may be some time before im ready for a carb anyway!
Stewart
paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by paul_turner »

Welcome Stewart
Knud is correct regarding the SU the main difference is the angle of the float bowl. When you get to that try Burlem a good source.
I have plenty of Square stuff so if you get stuck ask, I can only say no .
StewartPorter

Post by StewartPorter »

Thats great, Paul, thanks very much.
Stewart
KenGriggs

Post by KenGriggs »

I have a '57 Mk II, and the tool box appears to be the same, apart from mine has no holes in it for switches etc. Looks like that one has been badly butchered (someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong). Most of the holes appear to be for light switch, ammeter etc, but on mine these items are mounted on the headlamp cowl.
side on.jpg