'58 SQ4 REBUILD

Singles, twins and fours.
StewartPorter

Re: '58 SQ4 REBUILD

Post by StewartPorter »

My thoughts exactly, Ken. If it fits, ill use it. And find something to fit in it. The bike came with the same nacelle as yours but with yokes for a 51-55 set of forks with the speedo on its own (below). Obviously I'll swap yokes as the nacelle is very cool. So I'll already have an ammeter up front but might stick an oil pressure gauge in the "toolbox."
The " chrome" finish on it seems unusual too. I'm not violently opposed to period mods. In a slightly perverse way it can actually add to the "originality" of the bike rather than being a repro of a brochure picture. Doubtless loads of changes of mind on many things before we're on the road again....
Cheers
Stewart
Attachments
1550947260372-1627253601.jpg
'59 D1Bantam, '60 5Ta Speed Twin, '76 Yamaha FS1-E, '58 Sq4 (Lazarus project)
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

The main difference between the Square Four Carb and the Triumph Thunderbird Carb is the angle of the float bowl. This is set by the machining of the main body of the carb. On the Ariel it is flat but on the Triumph it is at an angle (which I think is 12.5 degrees). A Triumph carb will work ok on a Square most of the time but it is liable to give trouble in strange circumstances such as very cold weather. Geoff Brown of gearbox spares has mastered the art of changing the angle on Triumph carbs to Ariel spec using a milling machine and helicoils.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
StewartPorter

Post by StewartPorter »

Thanks Paul.
I must say, the level of detailed knowledge and help on here is astounding and very much appreciated
Cheers
Stewart
StewartPorter

Post by StewartPorter »

Ive also acquired this hub and three recessed bolt-on sprockets which fit it. Stamped QUALCAST C15-77 on rear. The sprockets are 47t and 10 holes. Still has paper on it from new. It doesnt appear to have anything to do with my year and the investigating that ive done seems to suggest that its for a 1950 only machine...? It may also fit some other models and even BSAs, I believe. If anyone has any further info it would, as always,be greatly appreciated.
And if anyone needs such a thing, send me a message please.
Cheers
Stewart
Attachments
IMG_20190228_134444.jpg
IMG_20190228_134055.jpg
IMG_20190228_134044.jpg
IMG_20190228_134533.jpg
00005IMG_00005_BURST20190228134003.jpg
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Looks to me like a wheel hub for a '32-'55 rigid rear and the standard Ariel ring sprocket that fits most single-sided rear wheels across the same years....

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
StewartPorter

Post by StewartPorter »

Thanks Simon
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

The two slots in the side away from the brake look very like the drive for a speedo gearbox.
The end looks just a little longer than the ones I have, neither of which have the slots.
Rigid HT perhaps?
StewartPorter

Post by StewartPorter »

So.....
The news today from Bob @ archives is that I've landed a '59 engine and a '58 frame which was originally set up for a sidecar! Which is slightly ironic as I've been dead keen on setting up a combination for ages. I had been thinking of fitting out my 5ta with the sidecar and keeping the Sq4 as a solo. But now...
I wonder if there were any differences in the frame as it left the factory? I had intended fitting the heaviest fork springs from Drags anyway as I'm not as lithe as previously(i.e. fat, old bloke)
Apparently both engine and frame came from bikes that were black. However, as it's now officially a mongrel, I have no qualms about changing the colour and doing something completely non-standard. Doubtless many changes of mind regarding colour but that is still a LONG way off! Anyway, now that I'm freed from the shackles of matching numbers and relieved of the burden of authenticity, I can use a little authentic period ingenuity. I wont be fitting a hayabusa or anything daft..... Just period mods and upgrades, IF I feel they offer a significant improvement e.g. TLS brakes, electronic ignition, etc. That's my initial thoughts anyway, but it all depends upon which parts I can gather together to get it back on the road.
First I need to get the engine unseized and check the innards, then build a gearbox from scratch, get rocker gear and inlet manifold,find some wheels, a carb and dizzy, get a seat, lights........ happy days :D :shock: :lol:
Cheers
Stewart
john.bebb
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by john.bebb »

Hi Stewart - if you're not against sane upgrades; - strongly suggest an Iron Horse alternator - 12v 300W - then you can see, be seen & fit heated grips, an en suite closet & whatever takes your fancy... recommend you do NOT use cheaper alternatives to the Iron Horse device...
Have Kirby Rowbotham do your distributor & fit Boyer Bransden ignition...
As for brakes - if you can get hold of one... the Grimeca 9" 4LS is a superb device & requires NO mods to forks.
Cheers, John
StewartPorter

Post by StewartPorter »

Thanks, John. Ill definitely bear that in mind. Ive just found a dizzy, so im gonna make sure i get my money's worth out of that first!
Stewart