Name the Bike

Anything about Ariels
magne.aga

Name the Bike

Post by magne.aga »

This picture shows Crown Prince Olav of Norway on an Ariel, but which model and year ?
Numberplate indicates registration probabely in 1930 or 1931, but this number is no longer active.
Could it be a 1929 or 1930 Model E or F?
Any sugestions ?
1929 Model B, 1944 W/NG
john.deeth

Re: Name the Bike

Post by john.deeth »

magne.aga wrote:This picture shows Crown Prince Olav of Norway on an Ariel, but which model and year ?
Numberplate indicates registration probabely in 1930 or 1931, but this number is no longer active.
Could it be a 1929 or 1930 Model E or F?
Any sugestions ?
Hi Magne,
It has the short tension girder fork spring which makes it '29 or '30. The tank looks to be the more slender '30 model to me but that's by no means conclusive as there's not much of it that you can see. A photo from the other side of the bike would have told the tale.
However, with the valanced front guard, my money is on a '30 model "F". A bike fit for a King!
Cheers,

John.
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

If he's a king then he can afford the best and if it was 1930 then I'd expect him to have a model G! I can't see a rear stand so that could support the 1929 theory.
magne.aga

Re: Name the Bike

Post by magne.aga »

I also found better quality copy of the same postcard, posted by the "National Library of Norway" on:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/national_l ... 812836668/
And the bike does have a Centre Stand.

The archives of the publisher "Mittet & Co." from the period from 1870 to 1970 was donated to the "Norwegian Directorate for Cultural Heritage", and is made available through the "National Library of Norway".
I also see this later posting have a note saying "This photo was taken on February 29, 2012 using a Hasselblad H4D-60."

So yes, it must be a 1929 model, but maybe manufactured late 1928.

I have sent an email to the Royal Palace, asking for any detail information of this bike. But have not so far got any reply.

brgs Magne
1929 Model B, 1944 W/NG