Front brake cable/rod assembly

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
T Batnes
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Front brake cable/rod assembly

Post by T Batnes »

Bought the parts I believed I was needing to complete the front brake cable/rod assembly on my W/NG from Draganfly, but clearly something is missing. Can someone give me a clue of what parts I need to complete this? The adjuster knob on the bottom end I know, that is on back order, so I'll make one myself (have got the special tap needed), and the spring is missing on top of the rod - but what else? There should be something to connect the cable to I believe, which is threaded on to the rod. Rod was sold as rod w/connector by Draganfly, fell off?
IMG_20181205_000549105.jpg
IMG_20181205_000607564.jpg
Ariel W/NG '40 "Bitzer", Triumph Thruxton '04, IZH-49 '56, Tempo Standard 150 '54.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Front brake cable/rod assembly

Post by nevhunter »

Yes the bit missing is what I would have thought is very much a part of the assembly.. I can't post an image but someone will no doubt. It takes the cable end and has a small relief for the spring to seat on and it is threaded other end for the rod to screw into. I would Loctite that or solder it . to prevent it unscrewing. The coil spring pushes the brake rod so as to take the brake to off and is under the cover you already have. Nev
LuisPaz
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by LuisPaz »

something like that is what is missing

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/a ... duct/8191-
Luis, from Argentina
1944 Ariel WNG
T Batnes
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by T Batnes »

Ah, thank you. I will get in touch with Draganfly today and get one. I forgot a couple of other bits, so need to order more stuff anyway. Soldering seems to be a good idea, the threads on the rod is very short - easy to unthread or strip.
Ariel W/NG '40 "Bitzer", Triumph Thruxton '04, IZH-49 '56, Tempo Standard 150 '54.
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by alan.moore »

T Barnes wrote:Ah, thank you. I will get in touch with Draganfly today and get one. I forgot a couple of other bits, so need to order more stuff anyway. Soldering seems to be a good idea, the threads on the rod is very short - easy to unthread or strip.
I would also consider if that ball nipple on the cable is man enough for the job. There are other posts that deal with this which suggest making a barrel nipple out of a piece of brass bar with a hole through it, countersunk underneath so you can spread the cable strands out a bit when you solder it on. You have to solder it on after the cable has been threaded through the adjuster, sleeve/cover and the spring.

This is how I did mine:
Brass nipple
Brass nipple
Here is the complete assembly with the adjuster that screws into the boss on the forks
Assembly
Assembly
SDC11939.JPG
The thread on your rod looks a bit shorter than the one on mine (I got mine from Acme stainless) and when screwed on the end of the thread comes up to the base of the cable connector. If you have the die you could put a few more threads on the rod.
SDC11942.JPG
Acme Stainless also do the springs if you need one an sure he will be able o supply the adjuster nut if you need one.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
T Batnes
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by T Batnes »

This is gold! Thank you very much!