Imagination required!

robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Imagination required!

Post by robjameson »

I’ve spent most of the last three years battling to keep various cars/bikes on the road, while completely renovating the house my wife and I purchased. Unfortunately, being a Mrs Jameson, she has very expensive taste and has too great an understanding of my ability to do things, so I have to say that the bikes (and bank balance) have suffered.

Anyway, being me, I have been sneaking parts through the door in small packages, but I have had to confess to this lot.
3BA53D5E-0DD8-4ED8-BF54-FC310525E9EE.jpeg
So thus far I have:

A 1956 frame and swing arm
Front wheel, forks, yokes, nacelle, fibreglass mudguard
A set of KH engine plates
Lower chainguard
Seat
Tool box
Oil tank
Most of a mudguard

My plan is to gradually turn this in to a KH.

Initially I was just going to bolt everything together, but because many of the parts are bargain basement, rusty, knackered, I’ll probably end up doing a full job on it.

Clearly this one will take a few years!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Imagination required!

Post by paul.jameson »

it doesn't take much imagination for me to suspect that an early step might well be a visit to my workshop to rummage through Dad's spares.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

paul.jameson wrote:it doesn't take much imagination for me to suspect that an early step might well be a visit to my workshop to rummage through Dad's spares.
Well, if you look on the bright side, it’s an improvement from the number of parts pillaged for the VH (which for those of you who don’t know, was the entire bike!),
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

It's good to share!
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Late KH's are getting increasingly popular now !
Does this have to do with this from the Knowledge base : (sorry forgot who wrote it)

So you think you want a VH eh? Well it is an excellent motor cycle and you won't go far wrong. Of course we all have our own opinions about which Ariel was the best. Have you considered a KH. It has all the wonderful attributes of the VH, but with quicker acceleration and a more zestful throttle response, a narrower vibration band, returns slightly more mpg and will cruise all day at 70 mph. Plus, the exhaust note is pure music!

The model ran from 1948 to 1957 but the rigid/link version with all iron engine is a different motorcycle from the 1954-57 prf variety. Both are completely wonderful but for different reasons. It depends on what you like/want, or what you can get.

The KH is relatively rare in that the club archive records about 110 prf and 70 odd rigid/link examples in the register. The KH is in my opinion a nicer motor cycle than the FH (Huntmaster) which although a great machine, pays a weight and handling penalty in comparison, and of course the KH engine was designed by Val Page. Here endeth the lesson.

Over here in Holland (to others The Netherlands) at least 3 are being build right now...
johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by johnwalsh »

Hi Vincent, is that 70 KPH or MPH all day cruising!
1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

70 mph.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

And thats 113 Km/h :D
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Rob
Congratulations, that is actually a substantial start, and with your fathers offer ( I think it’s an offer) that is even better.
Sneaking things in through the door is still fairly easy. The problem is modern technology and phone banking. My wife now watches the account.
My KH basket case came about by accident. My son in law phoned me and said that he had been told of a KH in Queensland for sale very cheap and it had to go within a couple of days as the seller was moving house. I could not leave it at the price it was going for. My son in law arranged with his cousin who lived nearby to collect the bike and he transferred the money to his cousin for the bike. I was to pay him back and had almost enough cash on hand to do so undetected by the wife. In the meanwhile my daughter noticed the money missing from their account and confronted her husband. He told my daughter that it was for a bike that I was buying. The daughter promptly phoned my wife and dobbed. I of course denied it and said the bike was for the son in law, so the daughter got stuck into the son in law. I had to confess to save his marriage, but put mine in jeopardy yet again.
Why women do not understand I do not know.
David
adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by adrian.hannam »

Ha good story David. My wife always tells me if I buy another bike, one has to go. I don't agree with her mathematics. I prefer the adage: how many is enough? One more than you already have. Last week I went to lunch with my family, and my wife says she want to go to a garage sale on the way home. Ho-Hum I think, books and baby clothes, ok never mind, whatever. As we were pulling up at the address I could see a little bike for sale on the footpath (non Ariel), the right price $100, and promptly bought it. Its the same birth year as my wife, so now she thinks it's hers. The thing is, I didn't have to sell one to add this one. So now I am thinking maybe the secret when you bring another one home is is to say "I bought this one for you Darlin'"? Adrian.
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia