Full Face or Open Face Helmets for classic bikes

Bikes or not. Whatever
nickphipps

Full Face or Open Face Helmets for classic bikes

Post by nickphipps »

Hi all, i am going to be changing my helmet very shortly, i was wondering what peoples opinions were on whether full face/ open face......My previous one was a full face one, but was seriously considering an open face for riding the ariel, something that lets you feel the wind a bit more, something with a bit of character like the bikes we ride........i am well aware of the safety issues..........just curious to others opinions.......Nick
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Full Face or Open Face Helmets for classic bikes

Post by Steven.Carter »

Schuberth C3 Flip lid is the one for me, gives you the best of both worlds.

Steve
p tuxworth

Post by p tuxworth »

open face , i like to be able to scrach me head as im riding , so the car boots the best place expect to pay @£5 for one thats been sprayed and kicked round a field
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Hi Nick, I settled on cheap polycarbonate open-face helmet for all my riding, on ancient and modern, I team that with a Bob Heath Flip Visor, I wear specs and ride all year/all weather, that combination works fine for me. Now if I were to buy anything more rapid than my 650 Transalp, maybe I'd think again, but then, how fast can we (afford to) go?
I replace my cheapo lid every 2 years.
good hunting,
Robin.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I've tried full face a couple of times and can't stand the fogging up at lights. All my riding is done with an open face these days, but it is not ideal at 110 kph into a strong headwind where the thing wants to lift and pull my head off. For club riding I like to be able to work out what people look like, and they are unrecognisable in a full face. Nev
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

Anything with sh*te brakes and sub 60mph - it's an open-faced helmet (which is 9/11th's of the current selection). I am favouring the ability to see and hear, and generally be aware and take avoiding action/start braking way way early, over protection.

Anything that stops and goes quite well - then it's a flip front.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Safe biking is all about being aware of what is happening around you.

Enjoying biking for me has a lot to do with being out in the open - can you really look over your shoulder in a full face, much less a flip front?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

We had some accidents on the classic races with open face helmets and they ended up with face injuries, so now fullface helmets are a must instead.
On the public road driving my 30"s I do not want to be seen with a fullface, but on a modern suzuki it is another story I think...
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Well, we seem to be in Furious agreement on that. I can recall the days when we didn't wear them. You are MUCH more aware of other traffic, but are much more susceptible to head injuries..
50 MPH was fast in those days and the speed limit was 30 mph. The nut that holds the handlebars is the most important item, and a bit of luck where tin-top drivers don't look out for you at all. Nev
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Yes, I agree I do look silly with my Schubert C1 on my '45 NG.
So now I am about to buy a Premier Vintage open face helmet, price diffrence between www. shops and 'normal' shops is about 50 Euro.
Tried to find one at the largest motorshow held this weekend in Holland but all dealers seem to have the same collection.
Most open face helmets I'd seen are spiced up moped ones, and NO, I dont want a pink one with flower motif.
Anyone know of another brand ? Davida does not fit me, me ears got crumbled and I could not get them in the right position anymore........

Vincent