Full Face or Open Face Helmets for classic bikes

Bikes or not. Whatever
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Full Face or Open Face Helmets for classic bikes

Post by john.nash »

keith.hodgenia wrote: How do others cope with the glasses problem? Keith.
Contact lenses.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
Mike.Morgan

Post by Mike.Morgan »

I found when switching from open to full face that a took a wee bit of time to get used to but worth it in the end, especially in Scottish weather!!

I know they are the most expensive - but since having an Arai, I struggle consider anything else.

My old man always said if you have a £10 head, buy a £10 helmet!!
andrew.chapman
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by andrew.chapman »

I wear glasses full-time and I cope with it by taking the glasses off before puting my helmet on and the putting them on again once I am wearing the helmet. You may also guess that I do something rather similar when I take it off. I am so used to the procedure that it is pretty much automatic. The thing that I have learnt from the procedure, though, is never put the glasses down at any stage of the operation. I keep them in my hand whenever I am not actualy wearing them. It doesn't take much imagination to work out why.

I never buy fuel from garages that request me to take my helmet off. It is not convenient for me to do so, particularly in the winter, and I feel it is extremely ill-mannered of them to request it. If they make such a request, I get straight back on my bike and ride off. I remember the ones that have made the request and I NEVER go back to them. Fortunately, I have come across only a very few that do it. One of them is on the A419 northbound. I plan my fuelling stops so that I never need to stop there.
Last edited by andrew.chapman on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyC
http://www.foxwoodmotorcyclerandr.co.uk
BMW K1300GT 2009, BMW K1200RS 2002, Ariel VH 1954, Sunbeam S8 1952
p tuxworth

Post by p tuxworth »

to right , why do they want it taken off in the first place
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

To get your face on their camera, a side effect of young moped riders taking off without paying. Over here moped riders have to bring their helmets to the counter before they switch on the pump.

Vincent
p tuxworth

Post by p tuxworth »

isnt the vheicule reg enough , a lot round here drive and fill up wareing burkas , try telling them to show there face and youd start a riot , im with the other member if they say helmet off then id go somewhere else .
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

they use stolen plates and I agree with you to go to another petrolstation if they order you to take off your helmet.
a burka is not safe on the bike I think???? do they ride bikes anyway?????
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
p tuxworth

Post by p tuxworth »

not seen one on a bike yet , but plenty driving cars , if i see one at a junction i start to brake as ive had two near missis last year both were wareing biblical uniforms (berkas) should be an offence , maybe one day
andrew.chapman
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by andrew.chapman »

I am a bit puzzled. Why would a garage worry about a few moped riders stealing a tank of fuel? Most people probably spill more than you can get into a moped tank.
AndyC
http://www.foxwoodmotorcyclerandr.co.uk
BMW K1300GT 2009, BMW K1200RS 2002, Ariel VH 1954, Sunbeam S8 1952
Mike.Morgan

Post by Mike.Morgan »

Completely agree with not removing your helemt in a petrol station or anywhere else.

I have told the cashier on more than one occasion that I am a muslim and cannot remove it for religeous reasons.

Last year a cashier in the co-op in Onchan (who incidently could hardly speak English) asked me to remove my helmet - IN THE ISLE OF MAN DURING TT WEEK - Don't think so!! But after I had finished with him I don't think he would ask anyone to again.......