The KH Project MK II

nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: The KH Project MK II

Post by nevhunter »

There's 2 separate issues. The sludge problem and where the oil holes exit on the journal. The connecting passage is probably adequate until the sludge builds up to the level of the first hole. Centrifugal force is very good at separating particles from a liquid .How effective a filter in the return line is would depend on the fine- ness of the filter element. I doubt it will eliminate it, but anything helps. I would strongly suggest you redrill the holes to conform with the later ones. You don't gave to block the original hole. The later holes were eased to the sides with something like a Dremel and fine stone. Block it with a piece of wood so you don't slip and mark the journal when you do it. Nev
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Collected the crankshaft this morning from de grinders, he did the job within three days! Looks realy nice :D
From here on we can build the engine up with fresh parts... Got two NOS later type conrods for a start...
Attachments
IMG_0200.JPG
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Please redrill the oil holes like the later ones are and many of them are not balanced well. Mine has yet to be done (dynamically). Nev
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Made some small progress on the 1952 KH. I did Fit new tyres on the rims and choose to fit Heavy Duty inner tubes (moto cross) will see if it works! I like the Heidenau tyres with their classic profile. Before Cavalry will arive and starts nagging I want to point out the following: Yes the front wheel is 19’’ in stead of 20’’, due to a much wider tyre choice, and yes the headlamp should be a underslung type, no problem... Still not clear what to do with the petrol tank colour :roll: Will make a start with the engine comming weeks; crankshaft, bearings and pistons...
Attachments
IMG_0358.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

Looking good Paul. Over the past 3 months, and while my Red Hunter is off the road with a broken rear mudguard hinge, my '48 KG has really grown on me. And a mate has just bought a '51 KH. Both pictured below. That tyre looks great --- not a name I'm familiar with --- where did you buy it & cost?
My 48 KG.jpg
Alan's 51 KH.jpg
Paul
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Lovely machines Paul, specialy the 1948!! The KH is a real mellow machine and lovely to ride. I did fit a K34 Heidenau 19 x 3.25 front- and 19 x 3.50 rear tyre. This is a German tyre manufacturer who makes good quality, and affordable tyres with classic looks. They have good roadholding in dry and wet conditions, and last quite long quite opposite like Avon... I did pay 132,- euro for both, which is quite a sharp price. I did order them by Oponeo, which is a Polish firm who deliver within three working days. https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-find ... So6OnrCE15
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Today I did received the KH pistons from the club. Weight seems the same as the originals. They look fine :D
Top ring chrome, middle normal, oil control rings are in a different configuration as you can see on the photograph.
Thanks, Colin!
Attachments
KH Pistons.jpg
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Yesterday I received my exhausts from England which I ordered just a week ago. It’s fair to say this is a adequate dealer, but major important: they fit realy well! I know it’s bit ahead of time regarding all the rest I have to do, but I’am a bit uncertain what will happen the weeks to come...
Attachments
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Leejm »

Paul, what's the difference between the early and later con rods?? I have no idea about the ones I have.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Lee, the early type conrods have bronze small end bushes. On the later type the gudgeon pin runs directly in the alluminium. Further more the end caps on the later ones are more sturdy...

Photographs show later type.
Attachments
Conrod5.jpg