Dynamo / Electronic regulator woes

General electrical problems
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Dynamo / Electronic regulator woes

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi,
Sorry if there has been a misunderstanding. Concerning the negative earth Wassell, it is not that the polarity of the field coil is reversed, rather that the way it operates is reversed. Instead of the low side being connected to earth and the regulator sourcing current into it, the high side is connected to the dynamo output and the low side is pulled to earth by the regulator to get current to flow through the field coil.

I tried my DVR2 back on the bike again and following advice from the manufacturer I cleaned the armature with methylated spirits (he said to do this even if it appeared pristine). Also, since I took the dynamo off the bike to do this, I gave the field coil saddle fixing screws a good whack with my impact driver. This seems to have fixed things (either or both actions), at least for the moment.

I charged my battery Friday night before going out on the bike. There was no sign of much charging, but, on my return I switched to full beam and got a discharge reading but when I throttled up the ammeter steadied at Zero so the dynamo must have been taking the load.

We shall see what happens over the next few weeks. I think it is a bit soon to be shouting victory!

Keith :mrgreen:
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
bill.bottrill

Post by bill.bottrill »

Hi Keith,
I'm pleased you have got it going,However I think I see the problem with the neg earth wassel,The idea I think is to swop over the field coil wires.You are right about the diagrams they are mixed up and confusing
The Revised Configuration for Neg Earth System solid state unit diagram is ofcourse the standard positive earth dia. the instructions above the diagram are correct if you change No2 wire caption to point to the earth screw in the centre of the armature not to D as on the diagram (daft place to put the earth screw on the diagram,looks like a brush) ,the other diagram along side is the final configuration. basically the 2 field wires must be swopped
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi Bill,
I have just consulted the wiring instructions for the negative earth regulator that came in the box with the regulator. I have copied them below.

wassel drwaing.jpg

I made the changes as per the instructions and could not get the arrangement to work.

Looking at the instructions provided on the following link,

http://www.totalbikebits.com/wassell/or ... 21N_6v.pdf

Keith
Other Drawing.jpg
it will be observed that here, the unmodified state of the regulator is juxtaposed!! I don not think the dynamo would have worked with the mechanical regulator if wired as shown, either.

Sadly, Wassell does not appear to have any version control on its documents.

Keith :?
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
bill.bottrill

Post by bill.bottrill »

Hi Keith,
No I wouldn't worry about all that,It's just revert the connections back to standard dynamo connections then take off the field wire F stick it on D,take the other field wire off earth and stick it on F that's all they are saying do. you have to flash the field coil as they say I am using the mcr2 I haven't used an electronic one but that's what I would do You really need an answer from someone who has fitted this orientation of wassel I think I would motor the dynamo to make sure it was running in the correct direction after flashing
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi Bill,
I did the following;
1) Re-connected the field coil as per the instructions
2) Connected the 'F' terminal to ground
3) Started engine and measured voltage and more importantly polarity at the 'D' terminal; the polarity indicated correct + ve reference to chassis
4) Connected 12V 21Watt bulb across voltmeter and increased revs causing the bulb to glow and easily measured +12V
5) disconnected jumper to ground and connected regulator.....................

but when I connected the regulator, nothing at the 'A' terminal.

Maybe when I've nothing better to do I'll change the dynamo wiring and put the regulator back on the bike. maybe the gremlin will have become bored and inhabited someone else's regulator!!

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
bill.bottrill

Post by bill.bottrill »

That's brilliant Keith, Well it's amazing the dynamo is charging and it's + I'd go to the reg feed from the battery next and check out this lead and connect it to the reg earth wire (through a bulb) and see if you had power when the ign is on There's nothing else in the circuit so it's a duff reg or the wrong polarity one, perhaps the wrong sticker on it. it could of failed as you have done a fair amount of switching around after it was checked by wassel. your idea of borrowing a power supply sounds good if it was a varible one but I wouldn't know how to set up a test rig best of luck anyway bill
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Time for an update.
I am running with the original Dynamo Regulators DVR 2.

I have never really gotten to the bottom of things as to why the set-up didn't work but now its seems to be o.k.

After it worked for the first time, after I'd cleaned the commutator with meths and tightened up the bolts holding field coil saddle in place within the dynamo case, it stopped. I again cleaned the commutator (dynamo in situ) and all seems fine.

Has anyone had any experience with perhaps brushes made from the wrong hardness carbon, or the likes?

Strangely enough, I don't quite trust it!!

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
admin

Post by admin »

Keith.owen wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with perhaps brushes made from the wrong hardness carbon, or the likes?

Strangely enough, I don't quite trust it!!

Keith
yeah
I had some issues with brushes, which would smear the commutator very quickly and stop the dynamo working
I cannot now remember where I got them, but it was a couple of sets.
I bought some others and it sorted it out ...
jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by jj.palmer »

I had a similar experience regarding dynamo brushes, spent weeks trying to get the dynamo on my KH500 to charge, sought help from the forum etc.. Finally in desperation I purchased a new set of new brushes for about £6 and the problem was solved, it jumped into life.

Regards,
John P.
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hmmm,
Much as I now suspect!

Challenge is to get some good brushes.

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH