electronic regulator problem

General electrical problems
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

electronic regulator problem

Post by MARK.WALSH »

The mechanical regulator on my square 4 works ok but I decided to go modern and put on a new AO V-REG regulator on
I run on 6 v positive earth and the swap over is (should be) simple, however on start up - no power getting through the unit. Ammeter needle is in the middle and the red dot ignition light stays on.
I thought I may have made an error on fitting so went back to the mechanical regulator and the bike charged as normal.
I have bought the right unit - positive earth etc but it wont work? Any ideas anyone. I assume polarity , field and dynamo outputs must be okay as the mechanical unit works fine. I suppose it could be a duff unit, but I thought these were reliable.

cheers
mark
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: electronic regulator problem

Post by dave.owen »

With the vreg regulator, on 6v you need at least 4.5 v in the battery to trigger the regulator. A flat battery will never get charged.
Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Dave
Battery is healthy with just over 6 volts showing on a voltmeter. I'm quite sure the problem is elsewhere . I wonder if the ignition light circuit to the red dot ammeter could be the problem (if at all). Might try disconnecting that and giving it another go
thanks for the reply
Mark
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

What's the battery voltage when it's running, Mark?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

simes
with the mechanical reg - slow revs 6.15 up to 7.6 or so at high speed (until it regulates down to about 6.40)
With the electronic one attached just around 5.89 running at any speed when revved up, - Battery recovers when the ignition is switched off to about 6.10 but if I went for a ride I'm sure this would discharge. No movement on the ammeter and the ignition light stays on. Weird?

Mark
simon.holyfield

So, you've tested both old and new regulators in the same set up and recorded the results which clearly show the old one behaving as expected and the new one giving no output.

That suggests either that the new one is faulty or that the way you are connecting it is different. Given that the old one connects with Lucas bullets, and the new one has wire tails tells me there must be some some intermediate harness, or that you have added Lucas bullets to the new one.

I'm sure you haven't made a connection mistake, so I'd be thinking about sending it back.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Simes
that sums it up perfectly. Bullets added to the new one to marry up with the existing harness to minimise any intermediate fault.
I take it the main body of the unit doesn't need earthing - just the red wire to earth.
I bought the unit from Paul Goff via ebay - id have thought it should be okay. All wiring FADE connections are correct colour/codes - and when replacing the mechanical unit back it all charges again, so I assume polarity must be right.

Cheers
Mark
simon.holyfield

The main heat sink is not deliberately earthed in either of mine Mark. You might call Alan Osborn at AO Services who makes these, but it sounds to me that yours is duff.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Thanks Simes
I think I will have to resort to that - I appreciate the advice and at least it appears I have not made an error

Mark
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

my electronic reg problems continue.
I contacted Alan Osbourne and had a long chat. He was both very helpful and very entertaining to talk to but he thought it could be a duff unit after I described the issues.
Anyway I've been using the mechanical regulator for the past few weeks with no problem but thought id give the electronic regulator another go and refitted it tonight.
Still not working, but what I did notice when I turned on the ignition was a subtle whine from the unit. - Not very loud , just a slight high pitched noise which could easily be missed.
Any ideas anyone? Is that noise normal?

Cheers
Mark