Wanted: Pre-war Red Hunter

David.Samways

Wanted: Pre-war Red Hunter

Post by David.Samways »

Having had 70s bikes (Guzzi, Ducati, BMW) for the last ten years or more, I now have a yearning to return to pre-war motorcycles and a 500 Red Hunter would fit the bill well and be something to compare to my lovely '32 Sunbeam 9 that I sold way back when. I would also consider a just post-war RH too.

I'm really looking for a running machine, oily rag is good as is rolling restoration. Not really interested in basket cases though. I'd also consider a restored or part restored machine. I'm not obsessed with originality, and would consider non-standard machines as long as it's reflected in the price.

I noticed this on Car and Classic, but without any history of the restoration I think it a bit of a risk - https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C997928

I'd be interested in the expert opinion here.

Thanks, David
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Wanted: Pre-war Red Hunter

Post by adrie.degraaff »

We already had this on topic, http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... =10&t=4695 only the price went up 3500 pounds but the Ariel has still a 1952-53 restamp engine and oiltank, a postwar gearbox, with a India? tank, the frame and forks could be 1938.

During your search you will find a lot off bad motorcycles and owners-dealers keeping the good ones, so if there is a good one forsale you have to be fast.
You will find good- cheap ones in Denmark.
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by paul.wirdnam »

Having that "pre-war" tag will cost you, so if you can pick up a 1946 VH like mine below which I bought in 2013, you will likely save yourself a lot of money.

There is lots of experience and knowledge from members on this forum so as you come across potential candidates, ask us loads of questions and you should end up getting an authentic bike. Carandclassic is a good place to start, Yesterday.nl another good place, and eBay if you're brave. Also, the For Sale section of this Forum --- Dave Barkshire is very good at posting links to any Ariel that comes up for sale.

Paul
David.Samways

Post by David.Samways »

adrie.degraaff wrote:We already had this on topic, http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... =10&t=4695 only the price went up 3500 pounds but the Ariel has still a 1952-53 restamp engine and oiltank, a postwar gearbox, with a India? tank, the frame and forks could be 1938.

During your search you will find a lot off bad motorcycles and owners-dealers keeping the good ones, so if there is a good one forsale you have to be fast.
You will find good- cheap ones in Denmark.
Thanks for the replies Adrie and Paul. So, just to be clear, the Car and Classic machine is the same as the one in the eBay listing from 2015? I imagine the current seller bought the machine from eBay as he says he's owned it for a couple of years.

Is there a particular site in Denmark on which I should look Adrie? I've spent the last 20 years importing machine tools from Switzerland and the rest of continental Europe so importing a bike doesn't bother me - it would be better to do it before we leave the EU (if we ever do that is).

Your '46 machine is very attractive Paul. I guess that the 350s are also somewhat cheaper that 500s, but is the lower power much of an issue? I mostly ride around the Suffolk lanes and try and avoid A roads - I probably wouldn't exceed 50 mph on a machine of this type.

David
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

You won't regret buying this Ariel https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302817446997
David.Samways

Post by David.Samways »

adrie.degraaff wrote:You won't regret buying this Ariel https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302817446997
Well, it's the sort of condition and provenance I'd love, but I've never been that keen on side-valves. £10K would be my absolute budget limit, but I'd have to love it! I don't really want to spend more than £8K.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Not bad for 6000 pounds, has English papers, https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 5-305-5724
Fly there, ride home.
David.Samways

Post by David.Samways »

adrie.degraaff wrote:Not bad for 6000 pounds, has English papers, https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 5-305-5724
Fly there, ride home.
Indeed, a good price. Unfortunately, I'm not that brave to ride that far on an unknown machine! I'm looking at Sunbeams, Velos, Nortons etc too and I'm not in any hurry. The right machine will jump out at me, but do keep the suggestions coming.

I'll certainly run any Ariel past the experts here if I may.

David
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

In my opinion, if you don't want to spend more than £8k, you will struggle to find a decent pre war OHV Ariel in good running order. Inferior makes may be cheaper.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
David.Samways

Post by David.Samways »

paul.jameson wrote:In my opinion, if you don't want to spend more than £8k, you will struggle to find a decent pre war OHV Ariel in good running order. Inferior makes may be cheaper.
You may be right Paul - we'll see. It doesn't have to run btw, just be complete. I've rebuilt more engines and gearboxes than I can remember so I won't be phased by a bit of work, just don't want a basket case or a wreck that requires total restoration - I've got two or three of those in the pipeline already. I'm very tenacious and patient as well as open minded, so one of those inferior Sunbeams, Velos or Nortons might float my boat ;) .