New project but off piste

stephen.smith

New project but off piste

Post by stephen.smith »

Hi all I have a new project but it is not an Ariel but it is an old two stroke so you may able to help. please do not laugh but it is a raleigh wisp 1967 that has not been run for 30 years but is in good condition (wife not impressed).
The fuel has turned into gunge so what is the best way to clean out the tank.
I will strip the carb and clean in my ultra sound bath, I have filled the tank with new fuel but the gunge will not shift any ideas.
Regard Steve.
GrahamTopham

Re: New project but off piste

Post by GrahamTopham »

How about trying steam? a wall paper stripper with the flat plate removed, and stick the hose inside the tank, might work ???
Cheers, Graham
stephen.smith

Post by stephen.smith »

Good idea I will give that a go.
Thanks Steve
ian williams
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by ian williams »

hi steve ;
you could try filling it with gunwash thinners [cellulose thinner] for a few days or more and soak it , give it a shake every now and then .
or try nitromors paint stripper in the tank .

after washing it out and if it cleans up reasonably you can fill tank with malt vinegar and leave for a few days , this will clean up a lot of the surface rust if there is any .

you may need to repaint the tank if the thinners or the stripper cause it any problem .

as a young lad i remember riding a wisp with that spinning chromed auto clutch and the bike pedals you had to use to get it moving , in those days all the boys wanted japanese or italian mopeds but nowadays one of those wisps would be great for taking a ride down the lanes round here and looking around .
i upgraded to an NSU quickly with 2 gears and then a suzuki 50 , but the old twist and go was more fun .
would be great to see more of the older mopeds around on the roads these days .

all the best
ian
stephen.smith

Post by stephen.smith »

Thanks Ian will try thinners a friend has suggested brick cleaner but that might be a bit harsh.
regards Steve.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Brick cleaner is dilute hydrochloric acid..Best for bricks to remove stray concrete. Not for bikes. Nev
stephen.smith

Post by stephen.smith »

Thanks Nev.
I have shifted most of it with drain cleaner and the next thing is to deal with inside of the tank, I was thinking of epoxying it.
Regards Steve.