Ariel SG 31 frame 32 engine

Murray.Cann

Ariel SG 31 frame 32 engine

Post by Murray.Cann »

Hi all
I bought this project, through a chap at my local club. It seems he had lost interest. It was partially done frame powder coated (hate that) and mudguards, wheels etc. The crank had also been assembled. I've since been on the search for knowledge. It came with a 31 parts list but I found some of the parts were not mentioned, so I went on to find a 32 parts list in Holland but found that to be the same as the 31. As a chap in Oz suggested maybe it was a supplement to the 31 as was the owners manual.
as bought.jpg
I've done a fair bit on it now which includes the decomp lever inside the timing cover, the oil pump, as did Paul with his SF project, except my pump body was in reasonable good condition so I made some mandrels and skimmed off the outside to form a sliding fit in the crankcase and fitted some O rings. The alternative I was told was to warm the crankcase and slide the pump in , however I was worried it would get stuck half way and be damaged upon removal. The original owner said he had a cow of a job to get it out.
timing covers.jpg
decomp lever.jpg
decomp in situ.jpg
oil pump finished.jpg
Some future problems to solve and I hope someone can help here.
The bolt and nuts that hold the oil tin at the top. It says in the part list that the (to small to see) is a 5/16 bolt with special nuts at each end.
The hand change select sector with in a Burman BAP gearbox. I tried modifying a foot change one but it's a different radius.
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ariel SG 31 frame 32 engine

Post by adrie.degraaff »

A 1931 OHV dusn't have that valvelifter, i think only a sidevalver has, 1932 has a differend paneltank, there is an extra to the 1931 partslist but i sold it.
Murray.Cann

Post by Murray.Cann »

Hello Adrie
The engine is 1932 and it's a pity you didn't have a copy of extras any more. Here is a picture of the petrol tank I have which is similar to a 1937 parts list I have but well maybe 1932
Petrol tank.jpg
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by paul.wirdnam »

The oil tank top mounting is held in place by two nuts like this with a length of 5/16 studding between them....it uses the top side-car mounting hole in the frame. Ariel used this approach on many models throughout the 1930s.

I have the Sloper 1932 Parts Book Supplement; I'll scan it and post a copy.
Paul
Murray.Cann

Post by Murray.Cann »

Thanks Paul
I can make those nuts then, no problem.
A copy of that book would be much appreciated.
Something else has just occured to me and that is the nut,bolt whatever that holds the hand shift lever (gears) onto the frame once more it is to vague in the book.
Many thanks
Murray
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

Murray.Cann wrote:Thanks Paul
I can make those nuts then, no problem.
A copy of that book would be much appreciated.
Something else has just occured to me and that is the nut,bolt whatever that holds the hand shift lever (gears) onto the frame once more it is to vague in the book.
Many thanks
Murray
Murray,

There is a difference between gear change levers with the earlier binnacle tank (mine) versus the later instrument panel tank (yours). The binnacle tank has a solid lever which is round in section, while the instrument tank has a flat strip type gear lever. And this difference is also reflected in how they are mounted on the frame. You say you have a 31 frame but you have a 32 (and later) tank, so you might need to do some mods to get them to work together. Mine was a mixture of 31,32 parts and I also had to do this.

Does you frame have this style of gear change mounting?

Paul
Murray.Cann

Post by Murray.Cann »

Paul
Here is a picture of my change lever a sort of collar that I made because I thought it looked about right. Yes my lever is flat or elliptical in section. My frame seems the same as yours. I think it might be meant to have a spring and spring cover behind it???
WP_20180707_16_31_05_Pro.jpg
I've got it positioned with the gate on the tank and although nothing is bolted down at the moment it seems to work. The gate I have the previous owner made and it's made from 5mm plate, far to heavy me thinks but it seems to work.

My foot brake is a through the frame right hand pedal and for the life of me I cannot work out what spring is used and where about it's mounted to hold the pedal up?
Thanks Paul
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

Murray,

The gear change lever is same as mine and is for the earlier binnacle tank. I'm sure you can make it work with your tank and home-made gate; you'll need to have a spring between tank and lever...and then your collar (correct) and nut.

Here are the correct 1932 parts for the Sloper and your tank:
Attachments
Ariel 5385-32 2.jpg
Ariel 5385-31 1.jpg
Ariel 1932 Sloper Parts Page 9.JPG
Paul
Murray.Cann

Post by Murray.Cann »

Paul
Thanks for that Paul, I'm accruing information thanks to you.
I'm afraid I don't quite understand where the spring goes and is it in a cup. I think it goes behind the lever resting on the collar I made and is in a cup. A big washer on the front and a nut. Naturally the spring would be of a ID to fit over the piece on the tank. I have done a small sketch (please excuse my drawing)
Gear lever ariel.jpg
if you would please confirm my suspicions. I'm thinking that this 31 gear lever is curved in the wrong direction so I might curve it back the other way other wise it tends to touch the tank.The idea of the spring and the cup I got from the 31 book.

Thanks for your help Paul
Murray
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

Murray, you'll probably have to bend your lever to suit your later tank; from memory, my lever is virtually straight but then the binnacle tank is a lot narrower than the later tank.

I have my lever mounted virtually the same as you...except I've put the washer on the inside and the collar on the outside.

On your question about the foot brake return spring. I rigged up this:
Attachments
IMG_4602.jpg
IMG_4602.jpg (95.45 KiB) Viewed 3901 times
Paul