Carburettor advice for performance

Dennis.rose

Carburettor advice for performance

Post by Dennis.rose »

Hi Guys ,
Need a bit of advice. I have a 64 Arrow with the standard carb , I was going to fit the larger mono bloc 1x3/16 for extra zip , Some one recommended that I fit a mikuni carb , I plan to do some minor tuning , ie , enlarge the inlet port , elongate the piston window and matching spigot in the barrels , increase the compression ratio to 12 to 1 and smooth out the exhaust port in the barrels , what is your advice , would the larger mono bloc be better than the mikuni carb ? cheers
Nige W

Re: Carburettor advice for performance

Post by Nige W »

Hi. I don't have the answer, but was considering going down this route with mine at some point so will be interested in what advice might come up. Will be interested to hear what difference it makes to your bike.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

A bigger bore carburetter is more sensitive for tuning. 2 strokes are more critical than four strokes generally with mixture and easier to melt a hole in a piston Naturally what advantage you get will be at higher revs where you will maintain the torque for longer (if it works) most of the big advances in two strokes is in the schneurle ports plus reed valves and the expansion chamber design. The iron air cooled cylinders are a limit on sustained power. They just don't get the heat away if your motor is in a high state of tune. Nev
ken-drink
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by ken-drink »

this is what i fitted to my leader, works well
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... =20&t=7762
Ken
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by bh.sprint »

Re the Arrow tuning. -- Most of the articles I have seen assume you want max power for racing etc but I've not seen very much for those who want a bit more power but also need to keep the engine flexible for road use. The best person to talk to if you want the later is Ron of Fahron Engineering, he can give you the port measurements for use with original Ariel pistons and the Suzuki pistons. He is based in Linby Notts . Some of the Arrows he has worked on can easily keep up with modern traffic on A roads.

Brian H.
Dennis.rose

Post by Dennis.rose »

thanks for your advice guys, that's what I need Brian , to keep up , not racing , ill give Ron a ring from Fahron , see what he recommends ,
cheers , Dennis